As an intern I am the busiest I have ever been in my life. Keeping names and dates straight while working tireless hours on new projects is exhausting. I expected to be overworked and underpaid but what I didn’t expect is how well I have managed all my new responsibilities.
Here are the 6 tips to managing your workload that I have lived by during my time as an intern.
- Getting your priorities straight: Making sure that what your working on is the most pressing and important task you could be doing is key to any job. There is no need to be working on something that is due in two weeks when you have things due in one.
- Limit your time on tasks: Preventing yourself from getting sucked down multiple rabbit holes while working on a project is the best way keep you productive.
- Avoid Perfectionism: This may seem odd, especially just making your way through the strict perimeters of SOJC professors but it is true. Trying to make something absolutely perfect is a losing battle. You (and others) will always change things anyway so don’t waste your time perfecting it pre-approval.
- Exercise Discipline: This is the most important rule of them all. Getting yourself to stay focused on your tasks instead of daydreaming or getting on social media is the best way to manage a huge workload. Stay busy while at work.
- Outsource, Outsource, Outsource: Although not directly related to an intern but the idea is still usable. If you can’t do a task or do not know how to do something, just ask! Outsource the solution to your problem with a co-worker without wasting your own time.
- Sprint: No, not that sprint. Hit the ground in running metaphorically with your internship/tasks. This pace is not sustainable and it is not suppose to be. Showing your company how fast you get busy during your short internship will never hurt you.