Culture is Key

suit-673697_1920Everybody, we’re almost done…

It’s funny to see how far we have come since high school. One thing I have realized that has changed the most about me is my priorities and values.

A year ago I probably would have signed any offer I received in a heartbeat. It can be very difficult to say no to somebody offering to pay you money.

Something I find crucial that I have taken away from this course is the importance of culture. The environment of your job will affect your success and happiness.

Alexandra Levit discusses the importance of a corporate persona in, They Don’t Teach Corporate in College. While I agree in the importance of being professional in the workplace, it’s also important to find a place that allows you to be yourself and fits your personality. Finding an environment that you enjoy being at will increase your motivation.

We can learn a few lessons from the classic film, Office Space. Peter’s “case of the Monday’s” turned into a hatred of his work life and a lack of motivation outside of work. He hated the people he worked near, being locked in a cubicle, and hearing from eight different bosses.

Unfortunately, we probably won’t be able to move up the corporate chain by ditching work to fish, but you get the point.

Find a job where you feel like you can fit in and contribute. Find a place that feels like somewhere you can stay a while. If it doesn’t end up being what you wanted it isn’t the end of the world, we’re still young!

Andrew Morris

8 Responses to Culture is Key

1. andrewbantly says:

I’d add too that it’s funny to see how important we have found culture to be as an aspect of job hunting. Not long ago the recession destroyed thousands of dreams and college grads were basically screwed. We got lucky, that’s for sure.

2. Sam Cody says:

Hey money talks… just kidding, but I completely agree that finding a place with a great sense of culture is the way to go. Throughout the spring term we have visited agencies that display this sense of “happy work culture” and it motivates me to find a place where I know I will be happy to work everyday. It never came occurred to me that culture was so important when trying to find a job. A year ago I probably would have signed up for just about anything too.

3. delaneyryan10 says:

It is amazing to see how much things have changed since we came into school. Just like you, I would’ve jumped at the opportunity to work anywhere. The stereotypes about millenials aren’t completely fabricated. We do value culture and a work space that promotes health, positive communication, etc., but that’s not a bad thing at all. We embrace how unique businesses have become and I’m glad to be a part of it.

4. It is fascinating to look back on what I used to think was important in a job versus the way I think about it now. This program has given me a chance to step back and figure out what will make me happy professionally – culture is a big part of that. I would be interested to hear what fellow interns prioritize when it comes to culture in their future companies.

5. horsttyler says:

I agree Andrew. I feel like students in the past have always naturally just tried to get the best job they can get based on their qualifications. Now I feel like more students are starting to become the pickers and choosers in the job hunting arena, looking for the job that best fits them and their personalities etc.

6. chriskeizur says:

The two things I have been looking for in the jobs I have been applying for is would I make enough to live, and would I enjoy my time there. I don’t think it needs to be the perfect job, but having something you can learn from and not despise is the goal.

7. alliejhardy says:

Great Office Space reference, Andrew. Working 9-5 5 days a week for free hasn’t been easy for me, but every morning I head to work thinking “Another day, another zero dollars.” The culture at my agency and experience I’m receiving at it makes the deficit so worth it. I really want to end up working somewhere with a culture I love, but at this point I will take any agency job to get my foot in the door.

8. clairecolby says:

Good points, Andrew. I felt the same way about taking whatever job offer I was given until I settled into my internship and made meaningful connections with my supervisors and coworkers. Now, I doubt that I’ll ever be able to blindly accept a paycheck providing position without first being word by the company’s culture.