Understanding The Hierarchy

Business people waiting for job interview in office

When it comes to finding a career job it seems as though patience is the key. No matter what industry you ultimately choose to enter you’ll have to work your way up. There’s no doubt that this process will take time. We’ve learned from the readings that our generation doesn’t want to be patient when it comes to our careers. I, for one, can say I’m guilty of this.

So how do we overcome this dilemma?

Unfortunately, patience is the only answer. Much of what we want isn’t directly in our control. We don’t decide if we get hired to a company and we definitely don’t decide whether or not we get that well-deserved raise. Even though we have to be patient, we can still be proactive with our careers in the meantime. For example, we can still network and set up informational interviews. Building connections can never hurt. This type of proactivity will surely pay off in the future.

I recently had an informational interview with the Communication Manager for the Trailblazer and his advice was to stay in the moment and focus on the task at hand and everything will fall into place. For him, he interned with the Blazers for 3 years before he was even offered an official position. That’s the type of patience we must all exhibit.

With only 3 weeks left in this term before graduation this is the perfect time to begin building some of those connections that we can use down the road.

About Robby Davis

My name is Robby Davis, and I have spent the last 23 years in Eugene, Oregon. I loved growing up here, and have spent much of my life exploring everything that the the Pacific Northwest has to offer. I truly believe that it has something for everyone.

9 Responses to Understanding The Hierarchy

1. Ahh patience is a virtue. I think our generation is very impatient. With the rise of smartphones and our culture we can get what we want fairly quickly. But when it comes to a job, extension, promotion, etc. That takes time and hard work. i give the communications manager props for sticking with the internship for three years. That is a long time, but in the end it all paid off!

2. What a great opportunity to be able to talk to the Communication Manager of the Trailblazers. I always want to know how people in positions like that get their foot in the door. It is interesting to hear he started out in an internship with the Trailblazers. I recently have had to really remind myself to be patient and focus on what I am doing at my internship right now. Even though I want to be able to start dreaming big about future opportunities, I need to be patient and make sure that I am finishing my internship in the most successful way possible. Thanks for the post!

3. jlandre2014 says:

I can totally identify with this! I like to be on top, but it definitely takes work to get there. I like your advice about focusing our energy on doing other things that can help us get to the top. Thanks for the post!

4. joefschr says:

The only thing we can control is our attitude and how hard we work. If we put 110% focus into those two things, and bring positivity into them, then the rewards and benefits will surely come. Playing the waiting game for a raise/promotion sucks, but working hard and doing your job, not complaining, and bringing a positive attitude are huge proponents of being successful and moving up quicker in the workplace. It will make the higher-ups decision a no-brainer when trying to decide who to give the promotion to. It’s all just a matter of PATIENCE.

5. kalimungovan says:

I definitely agree with this post! Patience is so important, especially when starting out in the workplace. Being proactive and working hard is key and just knowing that the hard work you put in now will pay off later will help get you through the first few years of your career. With only three weeks left in our internships it’s so important that we continue to build those connections that can help us in the future.

6. nikkimaroney says:

Very good point! Patience is key, especially when it comes to the interviewing/ job search process. I don’t know if it’s just me but I find myself checking my email every three minutes to see if an employer has responded to one of my job applications. Our lives are in the hands of someone else and that’s an unnerving thought. Until we can claw our way to the top, we have to keep our heads high and never stop fighting for what we want. All it takes is one person to give us a chance. Good luck with the job search and thanks for sharing!

7. Being patient is great advice. I, too, have always sort of assumed I would get a close-to-my-dream-job job right out of college, but after applying for career opportunities I have quickly learned that it doesn’t work like that. We have to start from the bottom and earn our keep just like everyone else before us did.

8. jbrosy says:

Wow, that sounds like a great opportunity being able to just get to know the Communications Manager of the Trailblazers! That’s incredibly persistent interning for three whole years before being hired, he must have really loved his internship. Though I totally agree with you that we need patience, I don’t quite believe we need to wait three years for things to happen. It all seemed to work out for him in the end though, which is a major plus. Great advice and great post, Robby!

9. Liana Berke says:

I can definitely relate to this. It can feel at times like we are at a standstill, not knowing what our next move is going to be. This can be frustrating, especially when we are all so eager to get our foot in the door and start our careers. It’s inspiring to hear how long the Communications Manager of the Trailblazers interned before he got a full-time position. I guess patience really is key in getting your dream job!