Be a doer.

Do It

Yesterday, the PDXSX cohort took a tour of the renowned PR agency, Edelman. During Edelman’s presentation, something stood out to me that was said when describing what they look for in an intern and a potential hire: they like “doers.” Now the reason this stood out to me was because this exact same advice was given to me at my initial interview with the company I currently intern at. They told me, “if you have an idea just run with it. We’re doers here.”

It’s difficult finding the right time to be a “doer,” I’m constantly struggling between when to ask for help and when to “just run with it” mainly because I don’t want to screw things up. What I have come to realize is that there are no expectations to be perfect at your job right away and that it’s okay to ask questions when needed. But taking the initiative to do a little work at first and then pausing to ask for some advice or a review looks awesome in your employer’s eyes. It shows you’re willing to step forward.

You don’t have to do perfect work. You honestly just have to try and show that you’re willing to go the extra mile. That’s what makes you a doer.

Julie Brosy

7 Responses to Be a doer.

1. kativanloo says:

That same comment stood out to me yesterday! It seemed like a resonating theme with everyone on the panel. I completely agree with your advice: once you have all the information for a task, take a stab at it. Just do it to the best of your abilities and then ask for feedback once you’ve done all you can. Being able to just “do” without having your hand held through every task you’re given is something very valuable to employers hiring interns or entry-level employees. Thanks for your post!

2. Rachel says:

Great philosophy-Thank you for sharing. I agree being a doer is a great trait to have. Someone who can take initiative and not ask for help every step of the way. I like to think I am a doer, but will especially try to take the lead/initiative this week during my internship. Thanks for the reminder -Rachel Davidson

3. jlandre2014 says:

This stood out to me too. I used to be the type that would panic and ask for help right away when I didn’t understand something or when I was asked to do something I’ve never done before. Now I’ve learned that it’s better to jump into something regardless of your comfort level, because chances are you’ll be able to figure it out, and if not, you can always ask for help. You’ll supervisor will appreciate that you tried!

4. nikkimaroney says:

Great post, Julie! I couldn’t have said it better my self – just be a doer! The transition from the classroom to the professional world is a tough one because the guidelines aren’t as clear as they once were. On my first day, I felt like I always had to ask before going through with a task; however, that shouldn’t be the case. Although we’re young, we’re capable of great work; it just takes some initiative and candor to get there. Thanks for sharing!

5. kalimungovan says:

This stood out to me as well! I think, especially as interns, we’re scared of doing something wrong. But it’s so important that we realize that we are there to learn and sometimes that means learning from your mistakes. I’ve found that it makes my supervisor much more appreciative when I draft up something before showing him and asking for help or advice. This gives him something to work with and give feedback on. Thanks for the post!

6. Lindsay Pfeifer says:

Great insight! I loved all the tips from Edelman but “be a doer” stood out to me as well. While I do think of myself as hard working and proactive, I wouldn’t necessarily label myself as a “doer,” mostly because I prefer lists and detailed instructions. Once I’ve found my groove in an internship, I’ve found that it’s easier to just go with it and “do.” Hearing from a professional that this is a good trait will only make me work harder on it! Thanks for the post

7. i loved hearing from Edelman’s panel. I think it is great when employers want results and “doers” from their employees, especially interns. It shows a lot of respect and confidence. I would rather work for a place like that and mess up a couple times (learning the hard way) than to work at a company where they have me running around being a personal assistant for three months buying bagels before I actually really start doing work. Thanks for the post Julie!