Play Hard, Work Harder

With 40-hour workweeks and long commutes it’s easy to forget that I’m still in college. After a stressful day of completing projects and meeting deadlines all I find myself wanting to do is relax in bed and binge watch Netflix—and sometimes that’s exactly what I end up doing. A couple days and a few seasons of Friends later I found myself wondering why I was sitting in bed rather than living up my last few weeks of college to the best of my ability.

Yes, I am a young professional and building a career comes first but I’ve come to realize that while putting forth my best effort at work is a priority, there’s no reason why my social life should suffer.

So here are few things that it took me almost a month to realize:

Stay on top of things at work.

If you stay organized and efficient at work you won’t feel the stress of the next work day hanging over your head when you get home. Always put 110% into your work day. Being proud of the work you are producing makes it so much easier to enjoy your time off.

Here are some tips on being effective in the workplace.

Go to happy hour.

Yes, you’re exhausted but I guarantee that you won’t regret going out for that drink with a friend or coworker after work. Chances are it will be good for your stress level and your sanity.

You are young.

I am 21 years old. And regardless of how it feels at times, that is young. It’s so easy to forget amidst all the stress and the work that goes into figuring out my future that I’m still in college. You will have 35 some-odd years to be a working professional but only a few more weeks to be college student.

Being both in college and in the workplace, it all comes down to finding balance.

So enjoy being young now because as cliché as it sounds, you really are only this young once.

Kali Mungovan

6 Responses to Play Hard, Work Harder

1. kativanloo says:

I can relate to this post on every level. I think we all may be experiencing this conflict of work and social life balance. I agree with you though; we need to keep in mind that these are our last weeks of college, and we should be enjoying them while we can! Though our work days may drain our energy, it’s still important to reward ourselves for the progress we are making. That being said, we should probably go to happy hour next week instead of curling up with Netflix immediately after class. Haha. Thanks for your post!

2. robbydavis23 says:

Great post! I think one of the main things that most students our age constantly forget is that we are young. Like you said, we have around 35 years of work ahead of us. For me personally, when I’m in the workplace I consistently forget that. I’m so focused on my future and trying to figure out ways to be successful in this industry that I forget to take a breather, and just enjoy being in college. Finding a balance is definitely essential. You don’t want to be focused on work all day every day, yet you also don’t want to feel lazy. Finding that balance has been a struggle for me.

3. jlandre2014 says:

I have to say, this is probably my favorite post so far. I found myself thinking the same exact thing the other day. It’s so easy to get caught up in the stress of working full-time and trying to get everything together before graduation — but you’re right — we’re only in college for 5 more weeks and we should be living it up. I’ll definitely be keeping this in mind the next time I have a post-work Netflix urge!

Good work, Kali! I hope you had a safe drive to Eugene for the Spring Game and made it back to kick ass in the office in one piece! Great advice here too. Take every opportunity to enjoy not just your internship, but the entire Portland EXPERIENCE!

5. Alison Jelden says:

I agree it is hard to balance work and personal life! It is easier to stay in bed and watch Netflix. When you get the urge to stay in, I find it helpful to take a walk at a park or go to a hike. Walking around new neighborhoods can be fun and you always discover new shops. Also when you are at work go on a 15 minute walk around the block. It will relieve stress. If you ever want to go on a hike let me know!

6. Lindsay Pfeifer says:

I agree with you 100%! It’s been hard adjusting to full-time work life and it’s scary to think that this is just the beginning! I’ve felt in a rut of sorts lately and made time to go to Eugene this weekend for the Spring Game and final college moments. Finding balance between work and social life is hard for anyone and hopefully we’ll all find our groove soon!