Full Speed Ahead

Leaving my iridescent Eugene life seemed like a drastic decision as I pulled on the notorious i5 stretch. I looked back in my rearview mirror as if all the glorious moments I would be missing would somehow appear looking back at me. Instead, all I could see was myself. RearView1 At the risk of sounding too “cheesy,” I realized that very reflection was my future presenting the adventure I was soon to embark on, one of which would hold more opportunities than I could hope for.

taking-risks-to-achieve-success

Instinctively, I believe we make choices even if we are unsure of the outcome, (consequently making life so exciting). Although I couldn’t believe my time in college had flown by so quickly I was excited to start something new. I think it is important to take risks that give you a competitive edge especially in today’s face-pace world. I believe that we sometimes get too comfortable in our daily lives whether that be a set routine in work and or school. Pushing yourself to experience new things is important because it helps break down any barriers you unknowingly set for yourself and allows you to become a better you.

Since the initial interview the months flew by and before I knew it I was handed my own key badge, a stack of business cards and got right into the swing of things. Just about everyday I am given a new press release or assignment to work on, which was a bit overwhelming at first. One way that I was able to keep myself organized was by creating lists. I know that time management is very crucial in meeting deadlines and producing quality work and found that by making a checklist and using sticky notes as reminders helped me be ready for each day.

Natalie Kelley

8 Responses to Full Speed Ahead

1. Like you, I’m a chronic list maker! I’m also most motivated to excel by situations that at first can cause me to feel fearful. One thing I find helpful in my list making is to prioritize everything by it’s deadline, helping me keep track of my most urgent tasks and allow the others to populate the bottom of my ever growing list.

More than just a motivator, I believe fear has a transformative power. The situations in life that help us to grow the most are often ones that cause anxiety and maybe a few sleepless nights. I think all of us interns are in this space now, where we know the fear and apprehension we hold means we are on the right track for the life we want. I know that’s how I feel about this amazing opportunity!

Thanks for an insightful post 🙂

2. cbuch232 says:

I also make lists! But I prioritize my lists based on a grading scale of importance. Like, finishing an article on deadline would be an A, whereas cleaning my room would be a C. I try to finish all of my A stuff before anything else. However, I should probably invest in some sticky notes.

I like your commentary on overcoming fear and agree that it can give you a competitive advantage. Nice post Natalie.

3. I felt the same way when I left Eugene. I thought about all the things I would miss and wondered if it was worth it to leave Eugene knowing it was my last term at UO. I bet a lot of us are feeling the same way and I’m glad that you’re looking at the positive of your choice: you have a competitive edge over new graduates. And, it looks like your internship is off to a great starts too!

4. davidhamernick says:

I heard a quote a long time ago that has stuck with me for a long time: “Life begins outside your comfort zone”. I feel that quote keeps popping back in my head and I’m sure all of us are feeling the truth of it right now. I respect your list-making habit, it’s a great one to get into. Personally, a couple terms ago I got a physical day planner, and it’s the best investment I’ve ever made! Organization is definitely key, even if you’re a messy creative-type, there has to be some level of organization. Rock on, glad you’re getting awesome daily assignments!

5. simonemyers says:

I also felt a little weird leaving Eugene! Moving to Portland wasn’t a huge step out of my comfort zone because I’m living with my mom again, but like Felicia said, it’s our last term! And we were so comfortable in Eugene: we had our daily routines, we were surrounded by friends, and we knew campus like the back of our hands.

I’m glad that you decided to take this risk and try something new! Congrats on getting a bunch of assignments and press releases to work on right out the gate 🙂

6. hansonlauraj says:

It’s nice to hear that someone else felt the transition between 24/7 school mode in Eugene and moving on with life by participating in PDXSX. It’s nice to be able to ease into “life,” isn’t it?

Thanks for the link on five simple ways to get organized at work! I can’t wait until I have my own permanent desk in an office and can develop ways to maximize my work flow. The plight of the intern is the temporary work space.

Great post!

Plus… You know… You get to work with some pretty powerful people. 🙂

8. kaitlynchock says:

Natalie, this was really insightful! I really liked your point about taking risks. I definitely would agree that risk taking gives you a competitive edge especially as a millennial because we’re allegedly the most risk adverse generation since the depression era. I also agree that it’s really easy to get comfy where you are in life and play it safe. But as you said, stepping outside of your comfort zone can make you a better you. This makes me think of the Wieden+Kennedy mantra “fail harder.”

I’m really excited for you and I know you’re going to do really well. Also, it’s super awesome that you got business cards.