Partying with Chicken Soup

I have followed this blog since I first found out about the Portland Senior Experience a year and a half ago. One of my favorite posts to read is each cohort’s last post in the program. Since then, I have imagined what I would say with my last post on the PDXSX blog.

Unfortunately, on the eve of Memorial Day weekend, I am at home sick. I have spent my day with tea, sleep, Arrested Development and conference calls.

Can I sleep more now?

And now it has taken me an hour to write a few lines.

So I suppose this will assure I keep my last post brief.

I recently wrote an involved post about my impending second graduation on my personal blog, which will take the place of a nostalgic goodbye post here.

Instead I’m going to take my last 100 words to thank the University of Oregon and the School of Journalism and Communication.

When I first entered the SOJC, I had no discernable set of skills (apparently employers don’t really want to see the 10-page paper I wrote on the Enlightenment and revolutionary France) and wasn’t entriely sure if another two years in college would solve the problem.

It turns out, the SOJC delivers everything it promises and more. I have had the chance to work with dedicated professors who truly care about their student’s futures, and I have collaborated with the most amazing group of undergrads. I also took advantage of the incredible groups in the SOJC: UOPRSSA, AHPR and, of course, PDXSX.

And now, I enter the real world knowing I am a qualified candidate to start my career in public relations. Beyond that, I have a strong network of professionals, students and teachers which I can carry with me throughout my career.

Thank you UofO, SOJC and PDXSX, I’m so proud to call myself a Duck.

Holly Locke

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Partying with Chicken Soup

1. megmarieshea says:

What a great idea to include this video. I saw it before a lot of people and had to keep my mouth, but I am glad now that it is finally getting around. I am sorry you are sick that is never a good time. This video really represents everything we should be proud of and excited about in the future. One day maybe we will be able to give back to the SOJC like so many other SOJC graduates have done. I second you Holly on all of the “Thank You’s” in this post. Good luck to you!

2. Nick Smith says:

Holly, I hope you are feeling better! We had talked about this post a few times and I think you said it perfectly. In the SOJC I got the feeling that it wasn’t school, it was work. It was a professional development process and not about doing enough to get by. Our professors demanded more and we expected more. I wish you the best of luck in your future adventures and I’m glad we had the chance to work together.

3. littlebrittanyb says:

I certainly agree with your observations of the SOJC. Our professors have high expectations and with those expectations in mind, we deliver. We have so many options for involvement at U of O and are given so many opportunities to establish connections and build new skills. U of O has truly been an amazing place to go to school and I’m glad your experience was good as well. I’m sorry you’re sick Holly and I hope you feel better! Good luck in your post-graduation endeavors!

4. jackiemc90 says:

I’m glad that the SOJC is such a great place to learn also. Hope you get well soon and can go out and keep killing it!

5. Ha, your tag! “I’m having a love affair with this ice cream sandwich…”

You absolutely have a way with words. It’s funny you posted this topic—I just completed my exit survey. It really made me look back at my experience at the SOJC, and examine who I was as a journalist coming into the school. It’s amazing the opportunities this school has given us. Clearly, (mixed with a little natural talent) the school has set you on a great path.

Best of luck!

6. Austin Marie Foster says:

Sorry you’re sick Holls (new nickname I just invented for you, let me know if you approve 🙂 ). I enjoyed reading your post and didn’t realize these are our last posts. Sad 😥 I will miss this experience with all of you. It has gone by SO FAST! I am positive you will be successful in your future. You are such a hard worker and I have enjoyed getting to know you.

7. kttodd says:

Sorry you’re not feeling well Holly, hopefully you’ll get better with enough time to enjoy the weekend! The SOJC has been a great place to learn and provides some really amazing opportunities (this program definitely being one of them). It’s awesome you took advantage of so many of these opportunities and are feeling ready to tackle the real world! Best of luck!