Portland Experience Shaping Up to be a Rewarding Endeavor

I can’t believe that it’s week eight already. I’ve been so busy and so invested in my internship that I haven’t noticed the weeks flying by.

But ultimately, it has been the most rewarding experience of my life, not only have I felt that I have been helping out some great newspapers with great—if small—staffs, I have also felt that I have given some due credit to some great causes and great new businesses in the Portland Metro Area. (Check out Conscious Box and TurboPUP.

Through it all, I’ve gained some great contacts, folks who know a lot about Portland and have wonderful stories to tell. I’ve also gotten a thank you note, which I will cherish forever, from a Portland blues legend.

I know that in order to keep my contacts, I’ll need to keep in touch. But it shouldn’t be hard. Image

I’ve also had the opportunity to get some people on edge. My favorite call of the term was trying to get a landlord of a neglected mobile home park to call me. I left him a message that I was writing a story about the alleged “sink hole” on his property. Boy, did he call me back in a hurry.

And of course, the most obvious things that I’ve gained are the professional clips that I will be able to add to my portfolio. I’ve done pretty much everything under the sun in community newspaper. I’ve covered new business, community service projects, school board meetings, elections, real estate, and theatre. I’ve been published in three different newspapers and a monthly section. A couple of weeks ago, the editor of the larger paper called me into his office and told me about a special section that will be coming out in a little over a month. Then he asked me if I’d like to write it. The whole thing. For freelance money. I pretty much wanted to say, “Are you serious?? Heck yes!” But of course I kept my professional cool, and calmly said that I’d love (!) that.

And I’ve also gotten to meet some great designers and look over their shoulders as they walk me through their process.

My next step is kind of daunting. Over the last couple of weeks, I’ve been asked what I’m planning to do next more times than I can count, and I’m still working hard on coming up with a great answer.

And right around the corner I’ve got the decision of whether or not I’d like to stay on in my current internship for the summer as well. But whatever decision I make, I can’t wait to move forward.

Kylie Wray

About kyliewray

I'm a first year pre-journalism major at the University of Oregon. I'm writing this blog for my Journalism 201 Class. It's subject will be mostly of the media and how it effects me and the world around us.

10 Responses to Portland Experience Shaping Up to be a Rewarding Endeavor

1. Nick Smith says:

Kylie I’m so glad you’re making connections and making to most of this experience. It’s so true that the jobs we are going o find are going to come from people we know. I can’t believe it’s only a few short weeks away. I have such mixed feelings about graduating. On one hand I am very ready to be done with school, but on the other hand it’s a bit nerve wracking trying to find a stable income after leaving the UofO. God luck to you!

2. Austin Marie Foster says:

Great post. sounds like you are learning a lot and making valuable connections, but even more meaningful memories. What are you going to do about the internship? I hope whatever you decide that you find success! Good luck.

3. megmarieshea says:

Great post Kylie! I really enjoyed reading about all your experiences at your internship. It is great to hear that you have made some great contacts and connections during your experience. That makes me feel good about this whole process we have been participants in. It sounds like you just need to keep doing what you are doing in order to get where you would like to be.

4. lockerobster says:

Congratulations on all your success, Kylie! It sounds like you have a big decision to make coming up, but you are approaching it with a positive attitude and enthusiasm. It is inspiring to see that you are embracing this experience and the next part of your adventure in life. Knowing we are graduating can be scary, but turning that apprehension into excitement helps. Great post and good work!

5. Kylie, great work! This post is so positive and I am happy you found the great contacts and experiences that you have thus far. I am confident you will find something and/or make the best decision as far as staying with your internship now or not. After reading this post, it finally hit me how fast this term has gone by! Week eight?! What? How? WHY?! Let’s finish this up 🙂

6. Summer Luu says:

I completely agree, Kylie! I think the PDXSX was an amazing experience that I definitely learned from and got a great experience from. It’s so nuts to think that it’s almost over and we have less than a month left and future plans but it’s just good to just keep at it and never stop moving forward. I’m impressed by your variety in reporting and know with your confidence, you’ll be successful.

7. littlebrittanyb says:

Great post Kylie! It sounds like you are having a great time at your internship and are making some incredible observations and connections. I definitely agreed that the PDSX is a great experience that we can take a lot from. The “real world” is inching closer and it’s a bit scary. Luckily, we have been gained some amazing tools from this experience to help us continue on.

8. In our field, connections can make or break you. Until this internship, I thought that networking was largely for PR people. Now, just like you, I’ve realized the importance of connections and what they will mean to our future careers. I loved the story about making the call to the mobile home guy!

9. kttodd says:

Congrats, Kylie, and great post! It’s so cool that you’ve been able to make meaningful connections. I think it’s really neat someone sent a thank you card. It’s also really cool to hear that you have covered such a wide range of topics–that variety is impressive and sounds like it was a great chance to learn about a bunch of different things!

10. jackiemc90 says:

Awesome Kylie, congratulations! It sounds like your really optimizing your opportunities.