Made in Oregon

All of us went through a long process of interviews and difficulties in deciding to join the Portland Senior Experience.

However stressful that was, I am glad that I took this opportunity to get involved in a new form of the public relations through my internship. Now, we are getting ready to leave the University of Oregon’s blanket and head into a world of business suits and briefcases for our next series of interviews.

CT.Sign.2.bh.11-25-97My main goal for this term was to acquire the skills to enable me to leave college prepared to enter full-time employment in public relations.

No one can say it has been an easy transition. The move to Portland, MAX rides to and from work and late nights were all a challenge for me. Yet, through this experience I did gain experience and skills that will help me be better prepared for what may come.

We all need to hang in there, keep pushing and just know that everything is going to work out the way it should.

~Jackie Chelf

11 Responses to Made in Oregon

1. littlebrittanyb says:

Good post Jackie! I think we definitely all need to remember that this is a learning experience and in the end we will have gained a lot of skills. Graduating and entering the workforce/ job search is a bit terrifying. Like you said, we have to keep pushing. Senioritis can’t stop us now!

2. immersed* in line three.

But, the point still stands. We are now one giant step in front of our fellow, beloved classmates who are going to be stepping out into the world the same time as us. We’re not at the final countdown—let the reflection begin!

LAST POST FOR JACKIE! Keep your head’s up, y’all. It’s scary out there, but you’ll be fine.

4. I agree, Jackie! It has been a transition, but I think it has taught us lessons we have yet to realize! The MAX…well that’s interesting for sure. We are almost done! Let’s keep networking and doin’ good work.

5. Summer Luu says:

Awesome post, Jackie. I loved your use of “University of Oregon’s blanket” because it really does feel like that. I can’t believe we only have a couple more weeks before the PDXSX program ends and we’re graduating–time really does fly and I’m also on the same boat of being grateful of entering this program. Through PDXSX, I’ve met so many awesome members in our cohort, visited amazing agencies in Portland and gained real life experience with our internships and that above all else is invaluable and I’m so glad all of us took that step to do this.

6. megmarieshea says:

Yay! Last post for Jackie! That means tomorrow is my last post. What a great last post this was. I completely agree with your attitude towards the new world we will be apart of in the next couple weeks (it seriously has gone so fast). I am glad you have had such a positive experience as I think we all have had.

7. Nick Smith says:

Oh Jackie, Jackie, Jackie! Our chats about the things we’ve seen on the Max have been scary and hilarious all rolled in to one. On a more serious note it is absolutely terrifying thinking about trying to stick out among the flock of recent graduates.

8. lockerobster says:

Very nice (last) post, Jackie! It was definitely wonderful taking the leap up to Portland with you and the rest of the cohorts. Though I am terrified of the MAX from yours and Nick’s stories haha. The end of the quarter feels so close yet so far away. It will be interesting to see where we all end up then.

9. andrewsch90 says:

Jackie, we will have to exchange MAX stories some time. I ride it nearly everyday to my internship and have seen more than my fair share of peculiar moments. I loved this post and found myself agreeing with nearly everything you had to say. It’s not an easy experience leaving the comforts of UO, but it’s been well worth it. We are all gaining skills and experiences that will position us quite well in the next few months.

10. kttodd says:

Nice last post, Jackie! It’s hard to believe that we’re almost done already with our term and at our internships. It’s awesome that you were able to get involved in a new form of public relations and acquire those skills that you wanted. It’s definitely been a transition leaving UO, but it’s been worth it!

11. Yes, moving to Portland was scary. I was a little overwhelmed at first, but after 6 or so weeks I have gotten my footing and am doing well. I’m sure the same goes for the rest of us. I think it shows that we all have the ability to adapt and do well where ever we go. I know that a lot of us, although working at a company applicable to our field study, are doing jobs we have little experience in or have never done before. This has been challenging, but we are all getting through it with flying colors. I think we should be proud of ourselves.

I’m glad to have met you guys and to have been a part of this program. Lets all hangout some more!

– Nick