Use Your Resources and Colleagues

Last week, I was presented with a project that was not necessarily challenging, but outside of my comfort zone. What’s cool about my internship is that they are giving me a lot of different work so that I can build my portfolio.

I have been working on blog posts, other written material, design, social media and something I have never done before; a press release.

Of course, I want to show them my best work. Honestly, I was freaking out a little bit not really knowing how to begin. But, what I found as an advantage was that our cohort has many public relations majors!

I created a draft off of a press release template that my internship site had used in the past. I then sent it off to a fellow colleague (PR student) to edit and give me direction. My point being, use the people around you for support and resources. It has been cool getting to see all of the different work we are all involved in and how we can use each others’ skills. It has also been fun helping one of my friends with design and ad work that pertains to her internship site. Using the resources and peer support around me has totally contributed to my success as a student, and now as a professional!

DSC_0088I think sometimes we are all afraid to ask for help. I am guilty of this! I am scared that it will look like a sign of weakness, when really I am confident I can complete a task, I just need direction and input from one who is experienced.

Use each other while we can. Even if we are really strong at a certain skill or specific job description, that certainly does not mean you will never step outside of your comfort zone and be asked to complete a task unfamiliar to you! I cannot thank my friends in the cohort enough for their support!

Thank, you.

by Desirae MacGillivray

10 Responses to Use Your Resources and Colleagues

Good job, Des! Love the way that you used your network to kick butt at your newest assignment!

2. Hopefully we can always use each other! I have learned a lot from my fellow PDXSX students (even the PR people), and would love to keep that network open. If we’re going to be working in the same area, we will probably run into each other again. Keeping our connection is going to be a huge asset entering the professional world.

I never really thought about our PDXSX connection until this post. Great job!

-Branden

3. littlebrittanyb says:

Great points Desirae! I think we all get really nervous when asking for help on something we are new at. Sometimes it feels like we are expected to know a lot more than we do on certain subjects. Great move looking back at what had been done before! The resources are usually there, we just need to learn to use them. Stepping out of your comfort zone can be difficult sometimes and I’m really glad that you brought that up. Advancement can only take place if you push those limits of what you are comfortable with.

4. Nick Smith says:

I’m so glad I could help! I think it’s a great lesson for everyone to learn how to take advantage of the resources around them, especially when it’s peers and colleagues. I also think that sometimes being successful is more about knowing what your personal limitations are than it is being good a specific skill.

5. megmarieshea says:

I think this is such a good reminder that we are all in this together. There is no I in Team ha! I am very happy to hear that you were successful in your project. I agree with you that asking for help of others can make people afraid, which I am not sure exactly why that is. I think a valuable tool and lesson that we may not realize we are gaining from this experience is being comfortable asking others for help along with helping others. I don’t know about you but I do get a good feeling inside when I can help a fellow colleague out.

6. That’s great you were able to reach out to someone in our cohort and that they were able to help you! I hope that even after this experience we will be able to receive guidance from each other. We all have our own skills and can learn a lot from one another. It has been great to meet everyone, I just wish we had more opportunities to work together.

– Nick

7. andrewsch90 says:

This is a great example of how important it is to take advantage of your professional and social networks. We all have our strengths and weaknesses, and that’s why teamwork is so valuable. It’s great to hear how you were able to reach out to a friend for help, and then return the favor. Being able to rely on friends and peers for guidance will make stepping out of our comfort zones a whole lot easier.

8. Summer Luu says:

I definitely agree, Desirae, our cohort is a great place to network off of and get resources from. I know each of us have our own niche and it’s good to know that we’re all in the same boat because we are not like the rest of the kids back at school and that plays a role in what we do here in Portland. Never be afraid to step outside of your comfort zone and I’m glad that you accomplished what you wanted through the help of others!

9. jackiemc90 says:

Great ideas Dez! Everyone I’ve talked to says networking is the way to get jobs, so why not start here?

10. kttodd says:

It’s great to hear that you were able to accomplish what you needed to and connect with other cohort members! I think this is a great reminder–like what the others have been saying–that we’re all here with different skill sets and experiences, and that’s a great opportunity to learn from each other.