Keep proactive; think about the future

I know it’s only Week 4 and we’re all getting settled at our internships and life in Portland but I always have in the back of my mind: What’s next after this internship? What’s next after graduation? What am I doing now to help me get where I want to go in 3 months? 6 months? 1 year?

As a reminder to myself, because we have an internship now doesn’t mean that it will guarantee us another internship in the future–we have to work at it. We have to find it ourselves. Take the initiative to go find the companies that you want to work for one day. Put your name out there–even if you don’t get hired or called back, at least you’ve tried and at the end of the day, you know that you gave it a shot.

Huffington’s Post: Spring Tips for Landing a Summer Internship

Image

A lovely reminder of what we saw at Edelman today…

All in all, if you’re wanting to look towards the future, keep proactive. Yes, you have an internship right now but do what you love on the side as well!

For example, I love my internship and the company that I work for but what do I really love to do in my spare time?

Filming concerts and attending shows. So, for the past six months and currently, I have been emailing press contacts for access to concerts and shows that I may want to produce a short multimedia video for.

That’s what I love to do. In short, work hard, play hard and do what you love–and keep doing what you love and eventually, with good fortune and hard work, you will get there.

-Summer Luu

About Summer Luu

Currently a Senior at the University of Oregon in the School of Journalism and Communication. Originally from Portland, Oregon. I aspire to be a photojournalist traveling the world. Photography, music festivals, art, longboarding and eating are some of my favorite past times.

11 Responses to Keep proactive; think about the future

1. lockerobster says:

I think I was worried about this before the program even started! The application/preparation process takes a good 6 months (or more) for the program. However, our actually internships are only guaranteed for 10 weeks. The quarter system strikes again! Just like in Eugene, 10 weeks isn’t a lot of time and being proactive to stay ahead of the curve is the best chance to succeed. p.s. *Nsync fangirl for life

2. Nick Smith says:

Summer this hits so close to home for me! I’m such a planner and not knowing what is going to happen after my internship is killing me. However, I think we are all planners which is why we are here in the first place.

3. littlebrittanyb says:

This hits the nail right on the head. We spend our whole lives worrying about what’s next and have to remember to work hard where we are. This is a perfect reminder that this situation is not guaranteed to be permanent, which could be either positive or negative. I often forget to indulge in the things I love because I am so busy trying to succeed where I am. Great post Summer!

4. megmarieshea says:

Such good insight Summer, I most definitely agree with your attitude for the future. Being proactive I think is the best strategy! It is the best strategy because even know you may not get an instant gratification, I know that all that hard work and dedication will pay off in the end. Being proactive also makes you have personal successes and motivation along the way.

5. Well written, Summer. I completely agree. I am a person that constantly worries about the future (something I need to work on, I know). I find, while I am willing to do anything when given a task, I produce my best work when I LOVE what I am doing. Also, during times where I have loved who I am working for or the mission, I find I learn the most. During my internship now, I am still keeping an eye on what’s ahead. I will keep networking, showing my worth in workplaces and remain positive. You’re right, we need to take the initiative and work hard. Let’s do this.

6. andrewsch90 says:

Summer, I found this post to be very enjoyable and easy to relate to. I just told my dad the other day about how my plan before graduating was to get into the Senior Experience and take it from there. Well, I’m now at the “take it from there” part of my life. I completely agree with you on following your passions. If you do something you love, you’ll never call it work.

7. Really good post. I completely agree. This internship has been a great experience thus far, but who is to say that I will be doing this type of work in the future. Similar to you, I also have a passion, but mine is music. It is what I do and more and more I am realize how I can’t live without it. So, I am working hard to record the album and contact people to play shows this summer. Mean while, I am trying to hone my skills at a variety of things and enjoy the process of learning. It is not to say that you must do your current passion for the rest of your life, but I if you love it now, why not go for it?

8. I agree Summer. We need to be proactive in life or we will likely not succeed. I know that one of my biggest fears is not succeeding in life. We need to keep on looking for that internship or job that will put our foot in the door. I think we also need to remember that it takes a while. We are probably not going to get our dream job right out of college, although I know we would all like to hope.

9. jackiemc90 says:

Haha my favorite part was the picture! Great post, people rarely succeed without putting in the effort, which I think we are all doing a great job of through this program.

Oh JT, how come you are so frequent on my student’s blog posts? 🙂

Nice work, Summer.