Four Ways to Rock your First Week

I think most people would agree that the first couple of weeks at a new job can be a very stressful time. Being a new intern is no different; in some ways it’s worse. Internships are unnerving in general, but there are a few things you can do to help ease into the new position. Here is a list of a few things I’ve learned.

imagesBe friendly: This can be a fine line to walk. You don’t want to be chatty to the point it distracts from your work or the work of others, but take a few minutes each day and talk with your coworkers. Try to get to know the people behind the professionals.

Show up early: Just because your office opens at 8:00 a.m. doesn’t mean you should be walking in at eight. In general, the 15 minute rule has worked very well for me. If you’re not 15 minutes early, you should feel like you’re late.

Don’t be afraid to fail: This is the hardest part for me. I am a perfectionist in the truest sense of the word; however, failing is part of the learning process. You’re simply not going to step into a new position and do things perfectly right away.  Accept that and learn from mistakes.

Take pride in your work: This is something I learned from a great friend of mine. It is more important to have the work done correctly than to have it done fast. Having to go back and correct simple mistakes will not only waste your time, it will waste your coworkers’ time.

As interns, it is our job to learn from the wealth of knowledge our coworkers have to offer; making sure we can get along within the work place and company environment is just half the battle. Whether prospective interns or seasoned business leaders, professionals know these principles are firm footing for any career ladder.

Here is a list of a few more tips for success.

Nick

6 Responses to Four Ways to Rock your First Week

1. andrewsch90 says:

Really enjoyed your tips, Nick. I especially liked the points you made about not being afraid to fail. As interns, it’s likely we will make a mistake every once in a while. However, if we hesitate to do our work because of this fear of failure, we will never develop into better professionals.

2. littlebrittanyb says:

Great tips Nick! I think we all forget that it’s okay to fail sometimes, and that our employers expect us to fail now and again. I also agree that being friendly is a very fine line, and it’s tough to walk sometimes. I have noticed that this line is often pushed by a few people in my office. Talking for too long can often become uncomfortable and make you feel rushed to get back to your work. These are great small things that make a big difference.

3. megmarieshea says:

These are great tips, Nick. You covered all the bases in terms of how to handle yourself in the workplace. The tips you listed also apply to how to represent yourself as a professional. I have to admit the showing up early tip is one that I can struggle with.

Well done, Nick with some great tips – particularly the one about always being 15 minutes early. Trust me, this will result in faster promotions later on.

5. keebird3 says:

Great Job. I definitely understand the part about not being afraid to fail. The first time I made a mistake, I was ready to crawl under my desk and not come out. But everyone was really supportive. Now I know I won’t make that mistake again, and I can move on.

Kylie Wray

6. Summer Luu says:

Nick, definitely agree with what you had to say, I think it’s really important for us to remember some of the little things such as showing up for work early and always being friendly and separating your personal life from work life. I definitely will never be afraid of making mistakes because I know they are inevitable in the long run and its better opportunity for growth 🙂