Life Decisions

Wow, I can’t believe Thanksgiving is around the corner. This quarter has gone by so fast. I feel like my first blog post was yesterday. My internship experience is almost over and I guess its time to make some grown up decisions about my plans after the Portland Senior Experience ends.

I have a few options on the table. My first option is hopefully to be hired on full time at my internship site. I love where I work and my fellow employees are pretty chill. I’m planning on sitting down with my supervisor after Thanksgiving and figuring my future out with this company

My second option is to go into the Navy. I’ve been thinking about for a very longtime and I think it would be an awesome experience. Traveling the world for free is a huge perk in my opinion and they pay pretty well. The Navy also has some awesome benefit packages. If I go into the Navy, I’d like to either go into Intelligence or be a SWCC.

My third option is to return home to the Bay Area and try to find a job in San Francisco. This is more like my Plan B if everything else fails. I always thought this would be my number one option but recently this option kind of scares me. I don’t like the idea of going back home and living with my family again. I don’t think I would like it after being on my own for the past four years. However, I have this one agency called the Outcast Agency that I’m looking at. They seem like a pretty sweet agency to work for and their time off benefits are the best I’ve seen so far.

Anyways, those are my options in life right. I’m not really sure what I’m going to decide to do and to be honest, I’m a little nervous about making the final decision.

8 Responses to Life Decisions

1. Well I think all your options sound equally awesome and branch out on to very separate paths. I thought moving back home would be my end all too but I didn’t have many choices. Then I was pleasantly reminded how awesome my mothers cooking was and that I was lucky to have such a nice place to go back to. Plus the only real harm that has been done has been to my waistline.

2. katshannon says:

I think it’s great that you have given yourself options. Though the next step is daunting, it’s also very exciting and the fact that you have already been preparing and searching for possibilities for your next move is great! I am living back at home right now for the duration of this program and it has been comforting having that support so close again, and parents really do love having their babies around again; and who can complain about a home-cooked meal 😉
    Just follow your gut and your heart and dive into the adventure it takes you on.

3. cmckee2 says:

While I can’t tell you what to do with your life at this point, I can say it’s a good thing that you’re keeping all options on the table. It’s scary to think we’re less than a month away from graduating and entering the real world! Yet it’s also amazing to think we have so many options, including the support of our families back home.

As you’re pondering your choices, you might take some time to watch this series on Netflix: http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Carrier/70213142?locale=en-US

It’s a good look at life in the navy from enlisted to officers.

5. eilíseward says:

I feel the same way about all the options out there, they are all equally exciting and will lead to very different life paths, but it’s so hard to choose, or to know if you’re making the right choice. Sounds like you have pretty sweet options though. I agree with you about living at home though, I’m doing it right now and I can’t wait to get back on my own. At our next happy hour we should all help each other make post-internship decisions!

6. chelseafung says:

Thank you for sharing your options with us! It’s comforting to know that other people are in the same boat. The Navy and Marines are some very respectable branches of military so I think that all of your options sound like they’re headed in a good direction. Most of us call Portland home so a lot of us can relate to the returning home option. Good luck on making those tough decisions I’m sure what ever you pick your future will be bright!

7. hailayn says:

I have a few options too, which oddly is overwhelming. I’ve sought the guidance of many mentors over the last few months and ultimately, everyone has encouraged me to travel while I don’t have anything holding me down. In that regard, my advice would be to enlist in the Navy and see the world while you can or else you’ll regret it! But that’s just my opinion 🙂 Best of luck deciding!

8. sarahbrown90 says:

Good luck making your decision! I know we’re all at a crossroads right now trying to figure out what our next move is and although it’s really scary, it’s also very exciting. I’m sure no matter what you do you will find something you love, and if you don’t move on to another one of your options. We’re so young right now we have that luxury to change our minds a few times before we land where we’re supposed to be.