Reality Check…

I was sixteen years old and I had already figured it out. I wanted to be a journalist. I became obsessed with all things news and made it my business to know what was happening around the world and in my communityImage

I watched shows like 60 Minutes and BCC News religiously, and I cried when Ed Bradley died. I idolized people like Christiane Amanpour and Morley Safer, and did the research to know that the industry is cut throat. I was ready to work in the trenches and do the dirty work – all while being paid a menial wage.

I dedicated the next four years of my life to making Journalism my career, but now that the finish line is within reach a doubt that I have never felt before has set in. In the past four years I have grown more than I ever imagined possible. I built relationships with the wrong people that set me on destructive paths, but more importantly I met people that helped me find my way back.

Now I find myself sitting at my internship wondering how I can do what I love and still have time for the people that I love. I struggle to find a balance and I am continuously discouraged when experienced journalists ask, “Where do you plan to move, Eugene or Medford?” and say things like “Well, learn to love nights and weekends and plan to kiss your holidays goodbye.”

I knew starting out that this was no easy task, but I think what my internship has helped me realize is that these choices don’t only affect me. I never imagined that I would have the ties and need to be close to someone like I do now, and it’s nothing short of terrifying trying to figure it all out.

Alexandria Naboulsi

7 Responses to Reality Check…

1. lizazevedo says:

Alexandria, numerous adults I have talked with have expressed to me that the most confused and uncertain they have ever felt was after graduating college. We just need to remember what our career counselor told us and make a career choice and dive in. Nothing has to be permanent. And don’t worry you are not alone in experiencing doubt all of a sudden; I have been struggling with it too.

2. hailayn says:

I’m overcome with the same kinds of emotions. I know undoubtedly I’m in the right field, but I’m unsure how transition from being a passionate student to a successful professional. I think it comes from building a strong network of professionals who have “been there, done that” because we can learn from their mistakes. A few days ago, I had a guy tell me, “Show me your five closest friends, and I’ll show you who you’ll be in five years. Then show me your five closest mentors, and I’ll show you who you can be in five years.” Interesting thought.

3. Troy says:

Solid post. Like Liz said, this is a pretty common response to graduation and entering the career-world for the first time. It’s overwhelming and awkward. With experience, everything should slow down. And we won’t be thinking about our “careers” anymore, just our jobs.

4. cmckee2 says:

Almost feels like we’re entering a quarter-life crisis, doesn’t it? I agree with those who posted before me; it’s not like we’re going to be stuck with one job for the rest of our lives. If we screw up, we’ll have time to fix it. In the mean time, this will give you an opportunity to assess your life priorities. If you’re ok with such a hectic job, great. If relationships and time off before more important, you’ll find a job that suits your needs.

5. sarahbrown90 says:

I completely agree with what you are saying here. As graduation approaches, it makes you realize that everything is so real and soon enough we are thrown into the real world. It’s definitely overwhelming to think that we have to have everything figured out right now at age 22. Even though I’m legally an adult I feel so young to make huge career decisions like this and I find my self second guessing at times, scared to make a commitment to something even though I have loved it for so long and have been working towards it for the past four years. We just have to go with our gut instincts and try to find something we love. Even if it is something we always thought we wanted for ourselves and find out in reality it’s nothing like we imagined, it’s ok because that’s what trial and error is for.

Well done, Alexandria! Only five (5) weeks left and I am certain that all of you will make many choices about your careers as you move forward. There is nothing set in stone!

7. eilíseward says:

I read somewhere that only 20% of college grads have a career related to their major… which means that 80% of us won’t! So that means we won’t be alone if we find ourselves on a career path that we never thought we’d end up in, despite our years of dedication and perseverance through the journalism school! Nice post girl, way to voice what all of us are probably thinking!