What next?

After reading many blog posts (as well as FB statuses) about graduation, I’ve come to realize that this is real, too real. I’ve been waiting for this moment to come for several years, but now, I’m not so sure I’m ready. Can we rewind, possibly freeze time for a bit?

Some of you guys have stated that you’ve discovered new interests and possible career paths. I, too, have realized that there might be more out there for me. It’s strange how much I’ve changed over the past year.

I have recently thought about going back to school in the near future, something that I never thought I wanted to do. I discovered that I wanted to learn more about graphic design, which is why I started looking into inexpensive graphic design programs around Portland. To my surprise, Portland Community College has said program.

I’ve always have had an interest in design. My dream was to work for a fashion magazine as an editorial designer. After working for a magazine this term, I realized that my goal might be harder to accomplish than I had recently thought. At the magazine that I worked for, there was one designer.  Just one! They didn’t even have a design internship.

If there is just one designer for that magazine, most likely there isn’t going to be more at another, right?  Except Vogue, but even becoming a coffee girl there is a tough competition.

It is not set in stone; however, it is an option that I’ve considered.  I’ve also gained an interest in advertising and PR. Before this term I never thought about those industries as being right for me.

There are so many options after graduation as well as throughout our lives. The path we choose to take after we walk isn’t necessarily going to be the path we want to take later on in life. And, if you’re anything like me, you’ll change paths often.

Good luck!

P.S. – Are we allowed to decorate our caps?

— Breann Curry

11 Responses to What next?

1. zolfaghari says:

Breann, if design is the direction that your heart is set on, then I say go for it. You don’t want to look back a few years from now and regret not having even tried it. If i was you, I’d get in contact with as many people as possible, in Portland, who are in the current position you seek to be in. Do informational interviews, study the craft, and get going at PCC. If you love what you do, it’ll show in your work. Best of luck to you!

It’s great that PCC has some design programs; it’ll be way cheaper and you can test the waters to see if that’s something you really want to do (versus spending thousands of dollars on grad school and discovering it maybe wasn’t the best fit). And I hear you on the Vogue comment; I’ve applied for internships there over the past couple years and their publishing house, Conde Nast, didn’t even get back to me to say they had accepted somebody else, which is such a bummer. But I totally encourage you to change paths as needed; life is all about exploration and you’ll never know if you don’t explore!

3. PDXSX says:

Yes! You can decorate your caps!

4. Breann, you can totally decorate your caps! I know I definitely am!
    I’m right there with you about wanting to learn more about graphic design (& marketing while I’m at it) and I, too, considered taking classes; but my supervisor had a better suggestion- Lynda.com has some awesome graphic design tutorials, and there’s also some great books out there too. There’s tons of internships you can try to find within the Portland area that don’t necessarily have to be magazine design, but the hands-on experience will help you learn more than any class will ever teach you. Once you get that down, make some great layouts for your portfolio and then approach a magazine. It’s a little bit of a pathway, but just a suggestion. Best of luck in your final days!

I think that’s awesome that you’re taking a design class at PCC! I was actually considering taking a class on Excel somewhere (this is a lot more boring than graphic design). I also want to take a photography class at some point in my life. It’s never too late to pick up a new skill. Good luck, Breann!

6. I think it’s safe to say that your internship was a solid success! You’re walking away with more options and new ideas than you walked in with. I think that pursuing a program in graphic design would be a great way to keep moving towards your goals. You may find that once you’re in the program, something else sparks your interest and you’ll find new ways to apply your journalism and newly acquired design skills. It’s exciting to hear someone else is considering going back to school. I’m also thinking about the possibilities of working on a second undergraduate degree. Work hard, play hard! Enjoy graduation day!

7. kingram10 says:

If your schedule, finances and life accomodates you exploring other career options such as design, I say go for it! We are in the small window of years where we don’t have mortgage payments, children to feed, or committments at home. Take advantage of your education and your hard work and do something that makes you happy! If you think you’ll be happiest as a designer, get your butt into classes!

8. shannonkluss says:

My motto is that if it can be bedazzled, plug in the glue gun! It’s so interesting to hear everyone’s new perspectives now that our program is coming to an end. I think that if you discovered something new about yourself, you should should invest in researching it more! Now is the time!

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with changing your path often. PR is something I also never thought I’d have an interest in, but after going on those tours it seems like something that could be pretty fun. There is for sure much more money there than in magazine! Being a designer would be a lot of fun too. I’m sure if you spent enough time and truly dedicated yourself to it there isn’t a reason why you wouldn’t be able to do it. Also, I don’t see any reason why you wouldn’t be able to decorate your cap. I just went to the Lewis and Clark grad and they decorated theirs. If they allowed it I don’t see why we wouldn’t.

10. I think it’s great that your internship ended up being an awakening to other possibilities you would like to pursue. I’m very surprised to hear that the magazine you were with only has one designer, I imagine that person deserves a raise with all the work s/he does. It’s too bad that you didn’t get more design opportunities. Hopefully before your internship is up you can schedule a meeting with the designer before you leave and pick their brain a little bit more. Best of luck with whatever endeavor you pursue.

11. shannonsloan says:

I think now is the perfect time for you to explore new options. PCC sounds like a great place to start but I like Marcie’s idea of trying out different internships. There’s nothing like getting hands on experience to see if it’s a good fit. I think you would enjoy and do well in graphic design.