Is this real life?

Exactly how I feel about our upcoming graduation!

As my senior year draws to an end I have started to reflect on the things I have done to get to this point.

The School of Journalism and Communication has provided me (and all of us too!) with so many resources. I’m grateful for the education I have received here at the University of Oregon.

The past two internships I have had with nonprofits were great stepping-stones and an awesome way to enter the public relations profession.

The opportunity to intern with a city government has also been an eye opener. I hadn’t paid much attention to city government until I had the opportunity to interview for the internship. I love that I have been able to expand my horizons in the public relations world. My internship has also brought me to a new professional level. Without these experiences I wouldn’t feel as prepared to start a career as I do now.

Looking back at my freshman year, I was clueless about what I wanted to do. I thought I was going to be a sports marketing major, until I learned more about the major and began to question its fit for me.

Now that graduation is 15 days away (what?!), I think it’s time for all of us to reflect back on the lessons learned during college, whether this was outside of our academics or not. Being an ISFJ, I’m still having a hard time grasping that I will be a college graduate on June 18.

Don’t forget to soak up these last two weeks and enjoy our last days as college students to the fullest!

Congratulations to you all, and good luck with your future careers!

Michelle Tagmyer

15 Responses to Is this real life?

1. That’s awesome that you got the opportunity to explore public affairs and public relations involved with city governments. That’s an area of PR that I’ve always been interested in but never thought of really pursuing a career within in. Are you interested in continuing to work in the government side of things in the future?
    It’s so crazy we graduate in two weeks! I will definitely be taking advantage of this time before June 18th before the pressure starts setting in. Good luck with everything Michelle!

2. jamesynwa says:

Great title and theme to your post, Michelle. College somehow falls outside the jurisdiction of the “real world.” Sooner or later, we’re told we have to confront a certain “reality,” make decisions as “real adults” and enter the “real job market” as young professionals. There will be a day that we look back and yearn for the college years – but for now, we get to enjoy the prospect of all those “real” things that await in 15 days. Congratulations on the hard-earned confidence and experience you’ve acquired over the last four years; you’ve put yourself in a fantastic position to succeed, and I wish you all the best.

3. shannonsloan says:

I am so glad you got the internship that you did and enjoyed it so much. I agree with you about the SOJC and UO, I am so proud of the education I have a recieved and have grown so much in throughout my college years. 15 days until graduation, I can’t seem to grasp it either. It was a pleasure getting to know you this term and I wish you well with all your future endeavors.

4. shannonkluss says:

It’s weird to think about where we would be right now had we not been apart of the SOJC and the PDXSX. Now that we’ve gained some experience and have seen first hand what employers look for in interns and new hires, I am so grateful for everything the SOJC taught us.

5. zolfaghari says:

Great post! I’m curious to know what direction you think you’ll be going, now that you have a few internships under your belt (non-profit vs other). I swear that I have the same reaction as that picture every time I think that we’ll no longer be students in less than two weeks! Completely shocked/scared/excited. Freshman year does NOT seem like it was that long ago. Really amazing how fast time flies. Best of luck to you in your future decisions, Michelle.

• michelletag says:

I think I could see myself in a lot of places. I haven’t had the opportunity to work in the agency world, so I think I may give that a shot. This is still a good time to try different areas in the PR world out, so I think I might take advantage of that! Good luck to you as well!

6. kingram10 says:

I think it’s great that you expanded from non-profit internships to a government office. I’m sure you recieved a whole new realm of experiences. It’s so weird that we’re done with college and moving towards the real world! You have been a joy to have in my classes this term! You have lots and lots to offer and I’m excited to see where you go and what you do!

7. What a difference between what you wanted to do your freshman year and now. Freshman year wasn’t that long ago but we have all learned a lot since. I’m also curious about where you’ll go next. Are you considering working for an agency? It sounds like you’ve got quite a bit of experience under your belt. Wherever your next opportunity takes you, good luck!

• michelletag says:

I have been wondering what agency life is like! I don’t know what direction I’d like to go in after graduation, because I could see myself enjoying nonprofit or government work. I think it could be worth my time to try an internship with an agency. At that point, I’ll feel as if I’ve tested the waters pretty well.

8. It’s hard to believe that PDXSX will be ending soon, and even more unbelievable is that graduation is almost here. It’s amazing how many things have changed from freshman year to now. It’s great that your non-profit work will help you moving forward in the public relations field. Also working for city government had to have opened your eyes to other possibilities since most projects we work on in classes don’t pertain to that field. Best of luck with you future endeavors!

9. Bree says:

I can’t believe graduation is so soon! I feel like there is so much more I need to learn before I go out into the real world. I sent out a job application today and it felt so surreal to me. I can actually apply to jobs that require a college degree? Whoa. Throughout my college career, I thought that I wanted to work for a magazine. This past term has made me realize that I might enjoy advertising or PR too. With all of these new options, I hope to find a job before my student loan payments are due! Good luck, everyone!

10. agavette says:

I think it’s finally beginning to sink in for a lot of us that we’re actually going to be done with college soon. I was just in Eugene for a senior brunch for my sorority, and I found myself thinking “Is this real life?” How did four years pass so quickly–let alone spring term! You have a great attitude, and it sounds like you’ve come so far from where you were freshman year–as I’m sure we all have! As crazy as it is, I can’t help being excited to start a new chapter and see where all of us PDXSXers are headed in the future!

I sometime think it was easier for me to choose a career when I started college. At least thats how it felt. After spending these years in college I’ve come to realize how many choices there really are, but beyond that, how difficult each choice can potentially be. Things just seemed easier in back then. You had the idea that you would go to college and when it was over, after having been properly trained, there would be a job waiting for you. Once you’re in college for awhile, you realize that just isn’t true. BUT! We had the PDXSX, which I think has given us a major advantage. It’s basically the idea that we would have jobs waiting for us, but put into effect. More or less. We don’t all have jobs waiting for us, but had I not done this and been here don’t think I would feel nearly as ready to take on the world.

12. PDXSX says:

Well done, Michelle! You’ve done so well!