Opportunities Ahead

When I think about my internship ending, I feel fulfilled but also anxious. I am really happy about what I have accomplished as a photo intern and all the assignments and projects I completed. My portfolio has improved immensely, and I have so much more confidence in my abilities as a photographer. Completing the PDXSX program is definitely going to be one of my proudest accomplishments.

But with the end of the program and my internship soon approaching, I feel anxious because I have had such a good time working at my newspaper internship, and I have enjoyed the people I work with every day. I’m worried that a work environment like this won’t come along again for a while. So I am saddened by the idea that I have to move on so soon from a job I enjoy. And unfortunately the talk with my supervisor just confirmed my notion that there isn’t any money to hire people at the paper, so if I stay on longer, I won’t be making any money.

However, I know there are great and exciting opportunities ahead of me, and I just have to remember to enjoy the journey. I can’t wait to see what’s ahead for me even though I am pretty freaked out. 🙂

Alysha Beck

9 Responses to Opportunities Ahead

1. jamesynwa says:

Hey – as an intern, the only direction you can go is up! Whether it’s at your current job with this newspaper or another entry-level position, your positivity and optimism will go a long way. It is definitely easy to feel freaked out – my personal outlook oscillates between pure confidence and sheer terror on a daily basis – but you’ve already put yourself in a fantastic position to succeed after college. I love that you mentioned the need to “appreciate the journey.” It is definitely what you’ll remember most vividly when you look back.

2. zolfaghari says:

Alysha, firstly, huge props to you for your photography portfolio. I took a look at your site and really enjoyed what I saw. It’s no wonder that you landed the internship for yourself. Secondly, I think you should consider the positives here. You were at an internship that you actually enjoyed. Focus on those qualities when it comes to your next internship/job. You now know what you like and dislike! That’s the beauty of this program. Best of luck this summer!

3. It’s hard to leave a fantastic working environment and strike out into the great unknown. I think it’s great that you talked to your supervisor about the realities of the newspaper’s budget. While I love and speak highly of our programs at the SOJC, I feel like sometimes the reality of the journalism job market gets glossed over with encouragement to join more student publications, expand your technical base with diverse classes, and get as many internships as you can. The REALITY is that even a talented photographer like yourself is up against a wall when the old pros can’t find jobs. I encourage you to freelance as much as you can, but also start figuring out ways that you can market your skills in other non-journalism arenas. For example, if you like photographing people, get involved in taking photos at local events for schools, community groups, family reunions, corporate gatherings, etc. Keep your toes wet, but don’t forget to keep your head above water too.

4. Your internship has sounded amazing everytime you write about it for the blog. I’m sad that they are table to pay you because it sounds like you really would like to stay there. Unfortunately it a tough market right now but at least you have some great experience as well as great recommendations from the people you work with. Hopefully a networking opportunity will pop up soon and you’ll be able to get compensated for your great work. Best of luck on all your future endeavors.

That’s too bad that the place you love working at isn’t able to hire you after your internship! But it’s good to hear that you picked up so much portfolio-worthy pieces to move on with and that you got such a great experience out of your internship! Best of luck on the next step of you journey; I think that you’re the ideal success story from the Portland experience!

6. shannonsloan says:

It’s great to hear that you’ve enjoyed your internship so much! It’s always hard to leave a job and coworkers that you enjoy, however, I have no doubt you will have many more opportunities ahead. Life after college is full of uncertainties so its natural to be scared. You have accomplished so much already, just imagine what is in store! Congrats and good luck!

7. shannonkluss says:

I love hearing you say that your internship improved your confidence in your abilities! That’s such an important thing! If you don’t believe in what you can do, why should potential employers believe in it? I also love that you’ve already been updating your portfolio and not waiting until your internship is up, way to stay on top of things!

It’s a bummer that your internship doesn’t have the finances to hire you! I bet they’ll miss your talent when you move on. Have you considered continuing work there until you find a paid job? I think if you’re happy there then you could definitely stick around until you find another good fit. Congrats on getting some awesome portfolio pieces and good luck with your career!

9. Bree says:

It’s unfortunate that there isn’t room for you. I’m in the same boat. Getting a job at a magazine and newspaper is going to be a challenge, which is why I’m starting to figure out alternative plans for my future. At least your portfolio has expanded! That’s always a plus. Best of luck!