In The End

Image

As we wrap up our final term of college, it is really hard to imagine life outside of academia. It seems like this moment has been a long time coming but would never arrive, and now we are embarking on the next step of our lives.

The Portland Senior Experience has been a very rewarding program and I feel so honored to be a part of the spring 2012 cohort. Throughout this term, I have been able to get to know a variety of important and interesting people which has been very special. I have also been responsible for creating a calendar for the company, acting as a social media manager for the company’s social media sites like StumbleUpon, LinkedIn and Google+, and working in media relations.

Just last week I had lunch with my manager to discuss the possibility of extending my internship through the summer. I was so nervous and embarrassed to, in simple terms, ask for a job extension; it almost seemed rude. I kept going over in my head that she was going to look at me like I was an idiot for asking, and then say no. This is not what happened. My manager was very graceful and helpful she said she would like to consider it and would love for me to stay if she could make it happen. So she didn’t say yes, but everything she did say put me at ease.

The lesson is, if you are nice and tactfully and respectfully ask if there is an opportunity available chances are it won’t be as scary as you think. The greatest lesson I have learned over these past few months is that you need to put yourself out there and get over the fear of rejection. Whether it’s asking a coworker out to lunch or asking for an extension; hold yourself to a high standard, be respectful and things will turn out as they should.

Congratulations on a great term!

12 Responses to In The End

I totally agree; the most that could have happened was that your boss said no and then you didn’t have much to lose! Congrats on getting the courage to talk to your superior about extending your internship and contributing to the company you’re working with. I think we’ve all come a long way since the beginning of the term and have really gained a better grasp on what’s expected of us in the real “job” world. Best of luck on that summer internship extension! Whatever happens, I know you’ll do great!

2. kingram10 says:

Congratulation on standing up and asking for something that you want! I have a really big fear of rejection, so this is something I’ve definitely struggled with too. I think you’re right, we’ll never get what we don’t ask for. Good for you for initiating a conversation with grace and respect. I hope they keep you on! Good luck!

3. Alysha Beck says:

Way to put yourself out there! In situations like that, things never turn out as bad as you imagine. I know it’s tough finding work right now, and companies aren’t as eager to hire people, but things will turn out for the best with hard work and persistence. Good luck in the job hunt, and I hope you get an internship extension or at least a great recommendation!

I’ve learned that it never hurts to ask! Soon enough, when we are settled in our careers, we will have to be asking for raises! That sounds even scarier to me. So, asking for an internship extension is great practice for future questions we’ll be needing to ask. Good job for taking initiative and chatting with your boss about an extension. I have a feeling our bosses appreciate the interns taking the initiative, it shows our interest in the job we currently have. Best of luck to you!

5. jamesynwa says:

Bringing up the prospect of a job extension will always seem like a daunting task. It can be uncomfortable for all parties involved, but it sounds like you approached it in the best way possible. “Tactfully and respectfully” is a great piece of advice for anyone else in the same situation. You want to be prepared and articulate, but showing your supervisor that respect will always goes a long way – regardless of the outcome. Best of luck to you!

6. Way to go! Asking that kind of question takes a lot of courage, especially when you really don’t know what the answer is. I agree “tactfully and respectfully” is a great choice of words. Being respectful but also getting/vocalizing what you want is very difficult. It sounds like you did a good job. I hope things turn out the best for you! I’m sure there will be more conversations like yours for all of us in the future. Also that animal is very cute.

I feel like being able accept possible rejection is a lesson that most of us have repeated on this blog. I think it’s something that as adults we’ll all need to get used to. A lot of people are raised in a bubble and when things don’t happen just the way they want they panic. I get the impression that will be our biggest out-of-school lesson: remain tenacious. Good things will happen if we just keep working at it. Good for you for taking that step to talk to your supervisor about continuing on. I hope it works out!

8. zolfaghari says:

Don’t be surprised if I ask you a bunch of questions about your internship, because it sounds downright interesting as hell! Very happy to hear that you ended up at a place that was suitable enough to seek an extension at. It’s amazing that we went into these internships with such a blur, not knowing what to expect or what we’d take from it. Just our hopes. Good job on taking the initiative and staying optimistic for a future job at your agency!

9. shannonsloan says:

Life outside of academia…it’s here, just a couple weeks away. The biggest thing I will take away from this program is that it really opened my eyes to the realities of life after college and help me gain confidence in my ability to succeed. Great job on starting that conversation, you got a great response and I am sure it’s because you worked hard and proven yourself this term. Good luck with your future endeavors!

10. I hope your boss your supervisor is able to come back to you soon with good news that she can extend your internship. It’s great that you asked for an extension and put yourself out there. Even if the company can’t keep you it sounds like you have fantastic work to add to your portfolio and I’m sure your supervisor will write a great letter of recommendation! I completely agree with you that you have to put yourself out there, hopefully you doing that with your supervisor will pay off! Best of luck!

11. Great post! I feel like I would have been super awkward in that situation but you are definitely correct about just sucking it up and asking, politely, for what you want. The worst that can happen is you get rejected and once we get over the fear of being shot down the doors will start to open. I know I’ve missed out on some opportunities in the past because I was too nervous about asking but that’s something I’ve had to get past. Great job and good luck with that job!

12. Bree says:

Rejection is one of my biggest fears. It’s probably going to be my hardest challenge. I definitely need to believe in myself and gain more confidence. Great job though! It’s so exciting when things go the way you want them to. After being in this program, I feel like a completely different person. I recently decided to look into design programs for the near future. I realized that there is so more I need (and want) to learn. Maybe I’ll be more confident in my work if I have a few more years of experience. Good luck with your new job!