Milestones

Image

Graduation is a time of celebration, relief, sorrow and most of all – awakening. As we venture through our last few weeks as college students and take our first steps into a new world, it is important to enter it in style.

Right now is the time when we determine who we want to be for the rest of our careers. Fresh starts happen in the milestones of our lives. However, this one is especially important. We are able to distinguish how we want to represent our professionalism, ethics and most importantly, our personalities.

As we say goodbye to past opportunities and hello to new ones, it remains important to keep relationships intact. Your past can help your future – hey, it’s what got you here in the first place! Try not to cut ties, burn bridges or lose connections. What we have learned will influence our future decisions.

Take what you have learned and determine the person you want to be. This determination may follow you through the rest of your career, so choose it wisely. Thank you all for a wonderful term. I look forward to seeing the amazing things that will come out of this year’s cohort. I believe the only proper way to say goodbye in this situation simply comes down to one word, cheers.

About asharonson

Journalism student at the University of Oregon expecting to graduate in 2012. My primary focus is public relations, event planning. I enjoy social media, photography, the Portland Trail Blazers and spending time with my family.

13 Responses to Milestones

1. I agree completely with your statement about the past and keeping your connections strong. Without doubt, I wouldn’t be where I am today without the connections I’ve made. Unfortunately, I also feel like I’m confined a little by those connections. I want to try some new things and create new ones without harming the old ones that I hold dear. It’s proving harder than it sounds. My strategy has been to keep the lines of communication open and ensure that everyone understands why I’m considering other opportunities instead of going back to my other company. I think it’s important to make it clear that it’s not personal and just that I need to look at some new options.

2. I thoroughly enjoyed your post. I’ve found myself overjoyed and in tears about the impending graduation. It’s a whole new world out there. But you’re right, just because we’re moving on in life doesn’t mean we have to cut off our connections that we had while in college. I’m going to try to maintain my connections here and back in Eugene as I venture off into the real world. Cheers to you on your graduation as well!

Ashley,
    You couldn’t have summed up this term and moment in our lives any better. Graduation is the biggest milestone we have reached thus far in our lives and it has been a long time coming. Relationships and connections are probably the most valuable thing we have right now and its important to nurture those connections. Congrats on a great term.

4. Bree says:

I’m really scared for graduation. I feel so far behind. Hearing about my friends job interviews and post-grad opportunities makes me more anxious. This term has been a wonderful experience. Any chance to meet new connections and gain life-long relationships is worth the time, even if there isn’t a job waiting for you afterwards.

5. Alysha Beck says:

Good advice! I think it’s so important to maintain the relationships we’ve made in our internships and in college. It’s important to keep past professors and colleagues updated about our recent triumphs and successes because they want to stay in touch and can still be valuable contacts for us in the future. Graduating is scary, but I also think it’s so exciting to venture out on your own. I’m looking forward to great new experiences!

Good advice! I still chat with my boss from my first internship! And, I know that if I ever needed it she would mention my name to others as I am looking for a job.

On another note, graduation will be a lot different this time around. High school graduation was great, but we were still in a little bubble in college. Well, our bubbles are about to burst and we’ll be out in the real world. I’m excited, but also nervous to see where life will take me. I will never regret participating in this program!

7. zolfaghari says:

I feel like this is something Josh would say in an end of the term speech to us! Very well written. And, of course, great advice. It’s clearly dawning on all of us that we’re about to embark on the biggest journey of our lives: our careers. It’s awesome to see how many of us were able to make the best of this opportunity that Josh set before us. I think the best way we can repay him is by our success.

8. shannonkluss says:

This post just reminds me how important it is to finish our internships strong! To continue to do inspiring work and make our supervisors remember how invaluable we are to them and to the organization. Even if we have new adventures lying just inches (or weeks) in front of us, like you said “your past can help your future.”

9. I like the send off! And way to reiterate the point that every connection counts and even if you are not ending your internship with a job offer a valuable connection may prove just as valuable in the long run. In the past I’ve not always kept in touch with my supervisors and it would have been a lot easier if I had when I came to them in the future asking for favors such as those valuable letters of recommendation. I’ll keep your advice and try to keep my networking ties from this current internship strong even after I leave.

10. I think you’re absolutely right about determination. Everyone in this program and out classes are talented smart people, I think it boils down to determination and desire in this market to make yourself successful. I also agree with you 100% about not cutting ties. I can’t count the number of times I’ve reached out to different people I know to give me insights about things I’m researching at my internship. Networking and connecting with people are so vital, you never know how someone can help or teach you. Good luck with all your future endeavors.

Yes, graduation is quite a milestone, folks. Before you know it you will be hitting your 10-year HS reunion, you’ll have left your first “real job” for a better opportunity and sometime during that span, I’ll be calling you personally for you to pay forward the very opportunity that you’ve had here, to take on a PDXSXer of your very own!

Keep kickin’ butt!

Cheers indeed. I think if we all keep heading down the path that we’re on right now we should be just fine. I couldn’t agree more that it’s important that we keep ties with the people we know now and not burn bridges. Some people seem to have a hard time doing that, but I really don’t think it’s difficult. Be polite, be respectful, if somebody pisses you off take it in stride and weigh the decision to fuel the fire against the decision to turn the other cheek. Sometime’s it helps to be the bigger person.

13. shannonsloan says:

Choose it wisely indeed. This has been such a great term, I see so many bright futures in this years cohort. It has been an honor to get a chance to meet you all, I look forward to seeing what’s ahead for everyone. We made it guys!