And Just Like That…

The term nears its final stage. The fruits of our labor begin appearing. Memories have been made, connections the same. It’s an experience like this that allows us to believe that our generation has the ability to do things that older generations may have doubted us for. With the term coming to an end, its moments like these that allow us to look back at what we’ve accomplished and surprise our peers, our mentors, and above all else, ourselves.

The craziest thing about it is that I’m just now beginning to feel like my internship is lifting off. Last week I was assigned my “big task”. My supervisor, along with the wonderful creative director at the agency, asked me to take on the responsibility of putting together a proposal. This is intended to be a blend of a case study and a pitch, with the end product being a deliverable to potential clients with the intent of convincing them why our agency may be the right one for them. I gladly took on the task and have been giving it full-hearted effort.

ImageAnother big take away from last week was a risk that I took with our creative director. I have a personal project that I’m working on, known as “Operation Bruno”, where I’ve begun a viral campaign that serves as a charity to raise money for a dog (for me). I told our CD about it and she actually got a kick out of it! I asked for her help in finding some way to contribute and she told me she’d be willing to help. Just like that, I had taken a risk and the risk paid off.

From here on out, I’m going to continue on this case study, build as many connections as possible, and do what it takes to set myself up for another invaluable experience at another awesome agency.

Joey Zolfaghari.

12 Responses to And Just Like That…

Booyeah! Well done, Joey! That’s how you need to roll, by taking a few chances every now and again. The worst that can happen is they say, “sorry, I can’t help.” Glad to see the initiative!

Wow, this is pretty fantastic. It’s so nice to see the drive, passion, and fearless action towards opportunities. I am so happy that you are getting some headway at your internship, big tasks are always so rewarding. Keep up the good work, and keep taking chances.

3. Great post, Joey. You’ve seriously made the most out of your time here. Way to take initiative; you miss 100% of the shots you don’t take. I hope your proposal is going well so far & best of luck with it when it comes to go time. I’m intrigued to hear more about your Operation Bruno campaign! Awesome job, Joey!

4. Bree says:

That’s awesome, Joey! I wish I had the guts to do that! I’m curious about your project! Let me know when you get things going! I’d love to check it out. Good luck!

5. McKenzie Ingram says:

Rock-freaking-Star! Good work fellow PDXSXer. Glad to see you’re taking initiative and doing “REAL” work in the workplace. This is definitely stuff you can boast about in your future job interviews!

6. asharonson says:

Great post, Joey! I know many of us agree with you when we feel like this has been a wonderful and bright term. Most of us gained experience that will last a lifetime. One of the most important things that we learned was to take a risk. It can be scary, but worth it in the end. It looks like your risk paid off. Great job!

One of the things I have to comment on in your post is how you feel like your internship is just beginning to lift off. I think at my internship, they’ve kept me pretty involved, but I am just not now starting to feel super comfortable with the people I work around. In the beginning it was a little awkward, because everybody at the place knew each other, but now I’m starting to feel like one of them. Makes me sad that it’s going to end. Good job on taking the leap and having it pay off. That’s a big deal, and it’s easily going to reward you later. Nice work.

It’s great that your boss is on-board with Operation Bruno; it shows that you work at an agency that really values the personal tasks of its interns! And as for the new case study and pitch assignment you’ve received, good luck! I know you’ll do great on it!

Emily

9. shannonkluss says:

I want to know more about Operation Bruno! I think it’s awesome that you are getting to work so hands on on what sound like a client pitch! That’s a big deal, and it will be a great conversation piece for future job interviews!

10. Operation Bruno sounds like a great passion project. It will be something memorable that you can discuss with potential, and obviously, current employers. I really think it is great that you are able to put together a proposal. One thing I realized at my internship is that for a while I was doing odd jobs that produced work I could put in my portfolio, but did offer me any results that I could put on my resume to prove my work had value. It’s great that they trust you to put together a great proposal, that’s a great project to have! Best of luck!

11. agavette says:

I think it says a lot for your organization that your supervisor can get behind you in support of your personal projects as well as your in-house work. What a great support system! I’m sure those connections will help you in the future. Operation Bruno is a pretty memorable thing that I’m sure will stick with your co-workers for a while. “Remember that intern who developed a whole fundraising scheme to buy a dog?” That’s something that separates you from the competition, that you’re willing to take initiative on something outside of the regular job. It shows that your passions truly lie in this field! Good for you, and good luck with Operation Bruno!

12. shannonsloan says:

I hope your case study goes well, I am sure it will. Way to reach out, it says a lot that your creative director was willing to help you. Operation Bruno, that is great. Good luck with getting your pup, they are the best things in the world! You’ve done a great job this term, keep up the great work1