Carpe Diem

In two days, we’ll be exactly one month away from being decked out in our commencement regalia and walking at graduation; and for some of us, that’s as far as we have planned. Being the ENFJ that I am, I’m trying to not freak out that my life beyond June 18th has yet to be determined.

When I reflect on the past seven weeks, I think about my successes and shortcomings, everything I’ve learned, the projects that still lay ahead, and I’m overwhelmed with gratitude and satisfaction. But am I really what they hoped for?

McKenzie’s question has been rolling around in my mind for almost two weeks now and I still have yet feel like I’ve figured out the answer.

For me, Week 7 represents a limbo of sorts. Although we’re close enough to the end of our time as interns, there’s still enough time remaining to really wow our supervisors; and that “Wow” could be the tipping point between an internship extension and a job offer (or a handshake paired with a kind letter of recommendation in your inbox).

We have all worked exceptionally hard and kicked major butt to reach the perfect position to approach our supervisors and discuss our options of continuing with the company. The next step can be one of three things: wait until our supervisors broach the topic, beat them to the punch and arrange a time to chat, or submit resumes elsewhere. Being the proactive and motivated individuals that we are, reaching out to our supervisors is the obvious choice.

Not only is this our time to shine even brighter, this is our time to seize what we really want. Josh once told us, “Clear eyes, full hearts, can’t lose!” (FNL).

If FNL isn't your thing, I know Ducks Football is! Photo: Courtesy of Allie Gavette

If FNL isn’t your thing, I know Ducks Football is!
[Photo Courtesy of Allie Gavette]

Marcie Giovannoni

About Complex Visuals

Blogging newbie. PR professional in-training. Award-winning photographer. Graduating from UofOregon in June 2012.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Carpe Diem

You’ve definitely captured the sentiment of us interns towards the end of the term! It’s a great pick-me-up about how we can still wow our employers and supervisors and what the next step is in our post-grad life. This internship experience has been a great learning experience for all of us, and, like you said, now’s the time to seize what we really want. Whether or not we end up staying with the organization we’ve been working with or going on to new things, it’s definitely true that we’ve all worked really hard to get where we are now!

Emily

2. Pingback: Carpe Diem « complexvisuals

This is the last big push and effort that we have before we are kicked out in the real world to fend for ourselves. This is a fantastic post that summarizes all of our thoughts and feelings as we come to the end of our internships and I am pleased to know that this is a feeling that others feel as well. Every day that goes by is more and more painful and suspenseful and I often wonder if I am helpful to this company. In the end, we will all end up where we are mean to be. Great post!

4. Great post! It’s difficult to say what will happen next. No amount of hard work can force a position to open, if it isn’t meant to open. It’s weird thinking that in one month school is done and no one really knows what to expect. But you put it well, whether you get a job at your current internship location or not, it’s important to stay motivated and aggressive!

5. Allyson Will says:

You wrote an excellent post that captured just about everything I am feeling. I already know that my internship will end in June, but that is a company policy. Interns must end when they are no longer receiving credit, but beginning to “volunteer” a few weeks after is up to me! Although I know I am not working towards a job it is still so important to give your internship your all. Honestly, it really is hard to give 110 percent each day. I think it is hard for regular employees to do the same as well. Take your internship day by day and if things don’t work out how you planned you can never say you didn’t give it your all. I hope things work out for you!

Good job, Marcie!

7. agavette says:

You’ve inspired me, Marcie! I was beginning to feel like I’ve reached a plateau at my internship, but recently I’ve been assigned more projects, and now I’m really going to try to get that “wow” from my supervisor. Hopefully I’ll get more than just a letter of recommendation, and get have a real connection and resource in my supervisor. I’m definitely on the same page as you for plans after graduation–I think a lot of us are! I guess the only thing we can do is keep trying to better ourselves on a daily basis and really try to end on a high note! Win the day, right? 🙂

Lovely work Marcie, lovely work. I couldn’t agree more. I think now is our time to prove ourselves. If we work our hardest and stay professional, then job or no job, at least we tried. And it’ll leave us with a good recommendation from our supervisors. I know some of our companies aren’t hiring right now, my included, but if we keep working hard than they are we’ll have a much greater chance of getting a job. You’re not alone in not knowing what you’re going to do next. I totally feel that way, but I’m kind of excited about it. I’ve had a lot of structure in my life these last handful of years so I’m excited to have a little freedom.

9. Alysha Beck says:

It’s good that you’re thinking about the future and weighing all your options. I think you’re motivated to go after things, which is a valuable attribute because after graduation you will be ahead of everyone else. Being in the PDXSX program has already put all of us ahead of the game because we will be graduating with great experience from our internships at major organizations. Keep thinking about the future and know that you would be a valuable asset to any business!

10. This post is so relevant, I actually talked to my boss about setting up a lunch next week to discuss what the next step whether it be a internship extension, job, or letter of recommendation. It’s a tricky thing to approach but being an Intuitive as well, I want to know my future at the company now, rather than wait for week 10. Week 7 is an odd time because it’s past the half way mark but it is that final push to leave a great impression. I hope you are able to extend your internship, or get a job, or find a better opportunity. Best of luck with getting to that next step!

11. Shannon Sloan says:

Taking a proactive approach is always the best way to go. Sounds like your taking all the right steps, keep up the great work and hopefully there will be a job offer for you. Just stay positive and keep the stress levels to a minimum, you’re going to do great!

12. asharonson says:

It’s true. In the next couple of weeks, we will be finding out the results of all of our hard work. We all just have to keep pushing through in order to continue to “wow,” our supervisors. Hopefully it all pays off in the end!

13. Bree says:

On one hand I’m excited for graduation, but on the other hand, I’m sad that my internship is ending soon. When I was talking with my editor the other day, she mentioned that next month she’d like some idea pitches. I feel like this might be my chance to “kick major butt”. Good luck with your internship!

14. jamesynwa says:

Just as there’s enough time to “wow” our supervisors, there’s also plenty of time to make a mistake that costs us an extension or hurts the relationship. As we near the end of the term and confront all the unknowns that await on June 19, I think the best thing to do is invest in relationships with colleagues and other connections from your internship. Regardless of what happens at the end of the term, you’ll have established a valuable network of contacts for the future and expanded your range of potential opportunities. Best of luck as the program wraps up – you’re definitely positioned for success!