Am I What They Hoped For?

ImageFirst of all, let me start by saying, have we really been at our internships for over a month? I can’t believe that we’re more than halfway through our allotted “internship” time! What a fast, wild ride this has been.

Although I am VERY happy at my internship and my boss has expressed that he is very happy with the work I am doing, I can’t help but ask myself, am I what they hoped for? Last week I struggled with this a lot. Although I am sure that it was 50% insecurity, and 50% made up in my own head, it’s really important to me that my boss feels like he made the right choice with choosing me as an intern. I want him to feel as though we BOTH got something beneficial out of this internship.

I think that the most important thing for me to do at this point, is to focus on my strengths, and to use them to my advantage. In my interview with my boss, I remember him telling me that he was excited about my writing skills. He even quoted me in an article I had written for a previous internship, telling me he wanted me to bring that creative writing to our non-profit. I think this is what I need to focus on.

With things changing at the workplace (the president is leaving at the end of the month), and people beginning to reevaluate what their role at the non-profit is, I realized that I need to do the same. I need to step up and take on tasks that aren’t necessarily expected of me. So this week I volunteered to work the registration table at a formal event we are throwing, I volunteered to “table” at the Latino Equity Health Conference, which we are sponsoring, and I spoke up during the staff meeting when my coworkers were confused about Twitter and how it can benefit our non-profit. I need to establish myself as an addition to the non-profit, someone who adds to the great work that we are doing in the community.

So, to leave you all with a little cliche that I learned from the school of life (I’m a sucker for cliches), you get out what you put in. Keep it rolling PDXSX.

About kingram10

McKenzie Ingram is a Marketing Journalist for Act-On Software. She received a BA in Advertising and a BS in German from the University of Oregon in 2011 and has since worked as a copywriter, content creationist, and digital marketer.

12 Responses to Am I What They Hoped For?

Awesome post! I can definitely relate to the second-guessing that you were going through at your internship. There are no grades at the end to tell you how you did, just your boss telling you what to do! But I also agree that bringing forward your strengths and skills to the table will make your workplace realize what an asset you are to them; especially when you go beyond what’s expected of you. Keep up the great work with volunteering and spreading the word about Twitter!

Emily

2. Allyson Will says:

Great post! I couldn’t relate more to everything you said. It is hard to try to figure out how much of an asset you really are at any company. I often remember think that everything was functioning at my internship before I got here, so how has me being here changed anything? To add another cliche, it really is the small things that count. Any little task you are able to help with around the office makes a big difference. Sometimes people really do sweat the small stuff (another cliche) and that minuscule task you may have helped with could have really made someones day better.

3. Shannon McGuire says:

I can’t tell you how many times I have asked the same question. During my interview my producers said they were looking for people who would bring new ideas onto the show. When I came in to the office, I was too nervous to pitch ideas because everyone else is so experienced. Then, my first idea that went onto broadcast didn’t go the way I planned. I think it’s important to realize that you probably have higher expectations of yourself than anyone else. Your boss knows you are in the internship to work, but also learn. Cheer up!

4. PDXSX says:

Good work speaking up, McKenzie! People will never know what knowledge you have if you don’t take a chance to let it shine! Well done.

I can’t help but get the feeling that we’re all wondering if we’re what they want. I asked myself the question. The most frustrating part is that I don’t really know how to answer that question. I think the best way to tell if you’re what they wanted is when they keep asking you to do things. I think as long as they are keeping us all involved then we must be doing something right. They may not come out and tell us we are great, but if they didn’t like the way we do things, they probably wouldn’t ask us to do them.

Good lucK!

I know how you feel always wondering if you’re what the company was looking for. I hope your boss gives you good feedback on your work. It’s great that you volunteered to help out at an event. Being part of a nonprofit is not just doing the behind the scenes work, it’s important to attend the fundraisers or events that the organization puts on. Plus, I’m sure that impresses your boss that you put in extra time to help out. Good work!

7. Definitely been there! Way to step up and try to fit in as an essential and necessary part of your organization, especially in a time when things are about to change with your president leaving soon. I’m sure it won’t go unnoticed.
    Also, it’s great that you spoke up in your staff meetings when you felt like you had something to contribute. I know that at times I’ve been unsure if it was OK for me to jump in at some meetings or if I was there to so only observe and there have definitely been a time of two that I wished I would have said something. Like you said, that’s how you are going to establish yourself as an addition to your non profit. Great work!

8. To answer the question in your title: you’re exactly what they hoped for! No questions asked. Reading your post here, it’s clear that you are committed to not only getting the most out of the internship experience yourself, but also you’re giving a lot back to the company. You should pat yourself on the back (cliché) and keep doing what you’re doing. I think you’ll really demonstrate what a good employee you are by remaining calm and confident through the transition that’s going on around you. Your co-workers will appreciate it and I’m sure your supervisor will see that you are a mature, responsible, and level-headed employee. Props!

9. For starters, amazing post, McKenzie! I’m definitely in the same boat, thinking the same exact thing. These last 4-5 weeks are our chance to really shine, and prove ourselves as assets. Sounds like you’re exactly what your internship was hoping for. Keep kicking butt! 🙂

10. Bree says:

I have thought about this over and over again throughout my internship. I don’t know if i’ll ever know, but I feel like if your editor/boss has no complaints about you’re work, then you are exactly what they had hoped for. No one is perfect! It’s great that you’re trying to be more involved in your company. Just keep up the good work and stop worrying!

11. Alysha Beck says:

Good post! I feel like a lot of us PDXSXers can relate to feeling unsure or out of place sometimes at our internships. But like you say, a lot of our insecurities are probably in our heads. It is important to remind ourselves of our strengths and abilities and feel confident in the work we are doing at our internships. After all, we got into the PDXSX program for a reason and were hired on as interns because of the skills we had to offer.

12. jamesynwa says:

Hey, cliches are only considered as such because they are so true for a number of people – I like the one that you chose to go with. For all of the flack we get for being part of the “entitlement generation,” you obviously expect a lot of yourself and don’t always trust the praise you get from colleagues. That’s a great quality to have, as it sounds like you’re working hard to understand your individual value to the company and figure out how to exceed those expectations. I’m sure you still have so much to offer, so keep up the hard work!