Blessing in Disguise

As most of you know by now, I recently had been going through a fairly stressful situation with my previous internship. My purpose for being in Portland was beginning to feel like it was no longer there. I felt like I was a disappointment to my peers, instructors, and more importantly, myself. Nothing I had done to find another internship seemed to work in my favor. It was when I was at my lowest that things took a u-turn.

I finally landed a second internship.

The stress, effort, and exhaustion of losing my first one turned out to work as a blessing in disguise. I’m extremely grateful for the help and encouragement that I received from those involved in keeping me in this program and finding a place that I can honestly say, after my first day (yesterday), is downright awesome. I’m with a tight-knit group that believes in their work as much as they believe in each other.

My first day started off a bit frustrating. I slept through my alarm, I was beginning to feel sick, and when I finally arrived, I was unable to access the internet for nearly an hour (boohoo, right?). Once things got going, I was assigned my first task by my supervisor. Yes. Finally. Some work.

The agency is currently going through a rebranding phase and they took me in to help with the process. My task for this week is just what I prefer, straightforward and exciting: I’m helping the agency find media and apparel related events, in either PDX or NYC, that it can strategically participate in. I got to work, did the research, and got results.

Image

Towards the end of the day, I was able to get to know my peers a bit better. If there’s one thing they all have in common, it’s their ability to share laughter together. Everyone seemed like they wanted to be there and it was completely contagious. So contagious in fact, that it’s part of why I can’t wait to embark on day two tomorrow!

Joey Zolfaghari, Intern.

11 Responses to Blessing in Disguise

1. asharonson says:

Great post, Joey! I admire your positive attitude and enthusiasm to keep going even when it seems like nothing is going right for you. It can be an amazing feeling when your supervisor gives you work, it makes you feel important, needed and useful. It’s great that things finally turned around! I’m sure you have a bright future ahead of you.

2. Bree says:

That’s awesome that you found a new internship! I’m glad you kept going without giving up! Sometimes life gives (or throws) you lemons, right? Those lemons can teach us a thing or two though. Just remember to learn and grow from each experience, whether it’s bad or good. Good luck with your new internship!

3. I am beyond happy and relieved for you, Joey! That’s so awesome that you’ve found another internship and that you love it already. Sounds like you’ve landed amongst a great bunch of individuals that will continue to encourage and inspire (and entertain) you. I’m sure I can speak for a lot of us when I say that I was never disappointed in you- what happened wasn’t your fault & your previous internship lost a great asset. I’m so happy that things are looking up and can’t wait to hear more about your new internship! Chin up and keep swinging!

Well done, Joey. Well done, indeed!

5. Allyson Will says:

Joey, great post! I am extremely excited that you are enjoying your new job. I can’t even imagine how frustrating your situation must have been. Now that you have found your way out of that situation you can look at it in a positive light and see it as a learning experience. There may be another time in your life where you get laid off without notice. Now you can look back at your recent situation and know that things will turn out alright. I hope you are having a great second day at your new internship and I can’t wait to hear about it! Congrats! You deserve it!

6. Joey –
    Wow. No one deserves an awesome internship experience more than you. It sounds like this one is going to make up for all stress and emotional exhaustion of your first one. Congratulations! You should be proud of yourself for hitting the ground running on the first day. You’ll find that this experience taught you something about who you are — resiliant — and what you can bring to a good company — a great attitude. Good luck with your fresh start!

That’s awesome! Something that was initially a bummer to go through definitely seemed to work out in the end for you! And your new workplace sounds great; it’s awesome that they brought you on board to help out with some new media and apparel projects they’re working on. Congrats on the new workplace (and for landing some awesome co-workers) and good luck for the rest of the term.!

Emily

Yeah, I remember talking to you about the transition. I can imagine you were stressed. I was stressed when the time got close for the term to start and I hadn’t found an internship yet. I couldn’t even imagine what it would have been like not knowing exactly where you were going to be after the term started. That’s sweet you found a place you’re going to like so much. I think it’s really important to like what you do, or else you’re not going to take everything possible from the situation. It sounds like they’ll have you doing important work around there, which is another important thing.

Good luck!

9. Alysha Beck says:

Glad to hear you’re excited about this new placement! It definitely takes a lot of perseverance to get through a setback like this and come out with a great opportunity. But it’s good preparation for when you’ll have to work through difficult situations at work in the future. I hope you continue to enjoy the internship and people you work with at the new place.

10. Congrats on sticking with it and getting that second internship. I’m glad that even in a pinch you’ve found one you seem to be enjoying. Sounds like you wasted no time getting to work and making yourself an valuable addition to your organization.
    It’s great that your able to intern with them while they are going through a rebranding phase. I’m sure you’ll be able to pick up a lot by being involved in that process. Hopefully you’ll get to check out some of those media and apparel events you researched!

11. agavette says:

I would be totally stressed out in this situation! I’d probably have a mental breakdown, to be honest. It’s great that you can see that this turned out for the best! It’s especially good that you feel like you can relate to your coworkers and contribute to the team–both of which are very important for feeling satisfied with your work environment. It sounds like you’re ready and willing to jump into this new internship, which is the best thing to do!