Loving the Whirlwind

You know you are in the right industry when you walk into work and it does not feel like a job. In my full-service marketing agency, no two days are the same. Each day brings new and stimulating tasks that are unlike the day before.

When I walked through the doors of my agency, I was hurled into a whirlwind of events, and I’ve loved every minute of it. We have the privilege of working with clients like Cirque du Soleil and Bridgeport Brewing Company.

Image

I hit the ground running when I began working with Cirque du Soleil. Among many projects, I had the honor of attending various events. Two weeks ago, I attended Cirque’s, Big Top Raising event. This event permits the media to document the famous Grand Chapiteau big top, being raised into the sky, allowing months of performances to begin.

There has never been a dull moment when working with Bridgeport Brewing Company. Each year, the brewery announces a new brew of its Stumptown Tart.  In order to celebrate, they hold an annual release party. This year I ran the event without the supervision of my immediate directors. It was scary, intimidating and thrilling.  Luckily, the event went on without a hitch.

Image

Of course I have the task of working on what many of us learned in school – social media. I monitor, analyze and distribute social media efforts for various clients like Bridgeport Brewing Company, Mountain House and my agency. Working with social media can be a breath of fresh air, since it is what I have been so comfortable with throughout the last four years.

I could not have asked for a better internship, and I am excited to see where it will take me.

About asharonson

Journalism student at the University of Oregon expecting to graduate in 2012. My primary focus is public relations, event planning. I enjoy social media, photography, the Portland Trail Blazers and spending time with my family.

12 Responses to Loving the Whirlwind

1. Bree says:

I’m so excited for you! It sounds you’ve had some amazing experiences so far. I’ve never been in a situation where I had to run an event without supervision, I definitely would be pretty nervous. I’m glad the event was successful for you though! It’s nice to read about everyone’s adventures, because so far my internship has been a solo experience, which has its pros and cons. Good luck with your internship!

2. shannonkluss says:

You have some very exciting, big-name clients! Congrats! If you are running events all on your own in the second week of the job, I look forward to hearing about your other projects throughout the term! Sometimes when you get thrown into certain situations, it’s more of a personal learning experience than anything else. It really pushes yourself to see how much confidence you have in your skills and abilities, and it sounds like you you now know first-hand that you are more than capable!

I glad to hear you’re enjoying your time there so much! That’s really cool that they keep you so involved. I think sometimes it’s easy for companies to neglect interns, because for the most part, we don’t know what we’re doing as well as the people who have been there for a while. But I believe it’s in their benefit keep us involved because they can help shape us into something that will be beneficial to them in the near future. It doesn’t make sense when companies let interns just slip into the corners and waste away, when the intern could be trained to be a valuable member of the company.

Keep up the good work!

Cody

4. Alysha Beck says:

I definitely know what you mean about being thrown into the thick of things at your internship. I feel like I am flying around at top speed photographing and shooting video of events around Portland. And I also love it! I feel excited to go to my internship every day and work with amazing people who are supportive. I love my internship so far and am learning so much in the fast-paced journalism industry. I’m glad you are having such a good experience too!

5. Allyson Will says:

Your internship sounds so awesome. I really liked what you said about knowing you are in the right job when it doesn’t feel like a job. Running the Bridgeport Brewery event by yourself probably gave you some great experience. I sometimes find that working under pressuring works out better for me because I only have time to go with what my gut tells me. I am glad that you are enjoying your internship! Congrats!

6. jamesynwa says:

You’re so lucky to be able to work with such innovative clients. The Pacific Northwest breweries tend to have great marketing initiatives, which I’m sure is a reflection of the local culture and the type of audience they appeal to. Your agency sounds ideal for that type of work, especially considering the need to remain ahead of the curve with social media. It sounds like you have plenty of experience with those online tools, but I imagine it would be tough to stay relevant and unique in the sea of information out there on the web. Keep up the hard work!

It definitely sounds like you are a great fit for your agency! I would be patting myself on the back for attending an event last minute (which I remembered you mentioned in class). I like the companies that invest in their interns. Their trust and confidence in you says a lot about your character and your ability to perform to their standards. Great work, Ashley!

8. zolfaghari says:

It sounds like you love what you’re doing! Very happy for you. I like how active you seem to be on your internship, and that your management seems to allow you to take on such responsibilities. You’re working with big name clients. Naturally, this could add a lot of pressure on anyone, let alone an intern. Keep up the valiant work effort. I’m sure it will all pay off!

9. I totally agree with you on knowing you’re in the right industry when you walk into work and it doesn’t feel like work at all. It’s such an amazing opportunity to not only work at such a great agency, but to be able to do what you love on top of that. I’m so jealous you got to go to the Big Top Raising! Keep up the great work and dedication! Sounds like you’re proving yourself to be an asset there 🙂

10. Great post pointing out the variety of work an agency employee gets to be apart of. You’re very lucky to get to take part in so many activities and hopefully complete lots of projects that will help diversify your portfolio works. On top of that, it’s awesome that you are having so much fun at your internship and actually enjoying the work you are doing!
    Congrats on pulling off the Stumptown Tart release party flawlessly on your own! Sounds like you have all ready made an impression on your supervisors!

11. I’m so happy for you. It really sounds like you’ve had the opportunity to dive right into the serious work of your agency…and have fun with it! Your agency must really value you and your work. It seems like you’ve found an excellent balance of fun, optimism, and work. I can see how someone would get very nervous about working with such big, influential clients. I’ve gotten nervous just picking up the phones in the office. Keep up the good work and keep us updated on your next adventures!

Well done, Ashley!